2000 Rx300 Starting In Cold Weather

tofu

Hi all,

Maybe someone had this problem that Im having.

Early morning when the weather is colder than 40 degree my car would not start on the first try and makes a noise like the nattery doesn't have enough juice, but it starts fine on the 2nd try everytime.

I don't think my starter is bad ??? Any suggestion ??

Thanx

Based on your limited description of the symptoms, it sounds like a dying battery. How old is the battery on the vehicle? If it's five years or more there's a good chance it's failing. Of course some batteries may last 7-8 years while others may fail in much less time but five years of service is a reasonable service life for an automotive battery. Batteries are a chemical process and as the temperature falls, so does the ability of the battery to generate the current necessary to start the vehicle; this problem becomes much more acute on a dying battery. Also check your battery terminals; be sure they aren't corroded to the point where it's causing a poor connection which can also produce similar symptoms.

My car starts fine if weather is warm, never had a problem. Only early mornings when it is COLDER THAN 40 DEGREE the car will not start on the first try, after that the car started with no problems.

It could be my battery but you would think it will not start at all no matter how many times you crank the engine??

Believe me I checked my battery all the terminals and cabkes is clean.

If the engine rolls over quickly as it should when you engage the starter, your battery is fine and you'll have to look elsewhere. You could have a dirty IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) which would also contribute to your symptoms; although a light touch on the accelerator should bypass that problem. Aside from that we really don't have enough information to work with.

Keep in mind that @ -18 celsius, a fully charged (new) battery provides around 40% cranking power (compared to a 100% @ +25 celsius). The older the battery, the less power when cold.

Besides that, you may want to check your oil viscosity, perhaps change to one that withstands much lower temps.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced my battery with new one (twice) and it's still doing the same thing ???

This is wierd ONLY early moring when the weather is colder than 40 degree... and the car will start up on the 2nd crank.

I think either my alternator is not charging the baterry fully.

Does any one know what is the output voltage coming out of the alterator when my engine is running?? 14+ Volts ???

Or it could be my starter or the starter relay ???

Any ideas anyone ????

BTW, I used W 5-30 synthetic oil.

I had a similar issue - replaced the battery without success. Turned out to be the starter contacts. Replaced them myself - not a difficult DIY (do a Google search). No need to replace the starter - in fact, not recommended. Contacts just cost $6. Took about 2 hrs. Working beautifully since then.

I had a similar issue - replaced the battery without success. Turned out to be the starter contacts. Replaced them myself - not a difficult DIY (do a Google search). No need to replace the starter - in fact, not recommended. Contacts just cost $6. Took about 2 hrs. Working beautifully since then.

Where did you buy the contacts at?

Thanx