96 Ls Seat Belt

96lxs

I have 96 LS on which the seat belt is pulled out all the way and will not retract which is a safe hazard as it will not do much to work as a proper seat belt in an event of collision. I have tried many ways to try to have the belt retract but it won't. Does anyone have any issue like this? Seems like Lexus should cover the repair/fix of this issue... Any ideas?

Thanks..

I don't think Lexus is going to pay for a replacement seat belt on a 15 year old car. The seat belt can be replaced but I've read that some of the colors for the seat belts on the 95-97 LS are no longer available.

I read somewhere that supposedly a member challenged Lexus on the 'safety factor' aspect and that the dealer covered parts and labor. I was unable to verify this and agree, that it is highly unlikely a dealer will comp this repair. Best bet is replacement... around $165 per side for the assembly and belt. Check out Park Place in Dallas if you don't have discount supplier for OEM parts. http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=213808

Jimmy

'95 LS, White/Tan/Chromes 148K

If I remember correctly, the panels covering the seat belt mechanism are held in place by the same type of clips used to hold the door sills in place. They came off easily when I removed them a couple of times when installing additional electronics and making a minor adjustment to the seat belt mechanism on my 2000 LS400. I think I pulled them off without using a trim removal tool -- be gentle but firm as these parts tend to become brittle with age. Attached are a couple of diagrams that might be useful.

post-2157-0-27047300-1292679737_thumb.jp

post-2157-0-94845400-1292679751_thumb.jp

One other tip make sure the car inside of the car is warm not cold. Not sure what the temps are around you but here its in the 20's so I would make sure that the plastic is not cold or it is going to be even more brittle. You may want to use a hairdryer to warm up the plastic to help it from breaking.

I've never really understood how it works but I think I read that the little yellow cylinder is a "single use" module that has a little explosion that drives a piston that tightens the seat belts when the air bags deploy? Or am I hallucinating? (Probable!) If it is connected to the air bag system, shouldn't the car battery should be disconnected before replacing the seat belt?

I'm surprised to read this. Nissan, as well as a few other manufacturers, offer lifetime warranties on passive restraint systems. On older model Altimas and 240SXs that used the automatic retractable belt systems they will even pay to upgrade to manual belts and delete the electronic mess. Seems Lexus, being a better quality company, would do the same.

With all the hurt Toyota went through the past year I wouldn't be surprised if they comp'd the repair. Write a letter to Toyota/Lexus USA or find the regional repair manager. He has some discretion to comp repairs in the spirit of customer service. The last thing Lexus needs is a traffic accident where someone is hurt because the restrain system didn't work. It would be hard for them to play the "outside of warranty" card in the public eye.

While you're at it cc: the NHTSA and the Better Business Bureau on your letter.

I'm surprised to read this. Nissan, as well as a few other manufacturers, offer lifetime warranties on passive restraint systems. On older model Altimas and 240SXs that used the automatic retractable belt systems they will even pay to upgrade to manual belts and delete the electronic mess. Seems Lexus, being a better quality company, would do the same.

Maybe the "lifetime" of our Lexus LS cars is just too long! As I have noted here in the past, the warranty for the seat belts (and airbags) in my 2000 LS400 was 7 years or 70,000 miles -- except in one state ... Kansas where I live and where the warranty is 10 years, unlimited miles. Why else would anyone want to live in Kansas -- it's only to get a longer seat belt warranty. :whistles:

My first LS400 is still on the road after nearly 21 years and around 300,000 miles - car companies can't warranty components forever.