Cpo And Powertrain Warranty Coverage

Some info regarding powertrain warranty and transferrable CPO warranty with request for input from others--post in reply to this post.

With complexity around warranties I am finding some Lexus warranty people (at Lexus HQ finance/warranty dept)need training so thought I would pass on my findings regarding wrong info you might get from call to Lexus.

My 2007 CPO IS350 basic warranty is about to expire (mileage) but "powertrain warranty" still has quite a ways to go. In light of all the recalls and accompaying publicity I feel some transferrable warranty will help sell car so called Lexus to verify: (1)covered items in powertrain warranty; and (2)any plans to make remaining time/mileage of CPO warranty transferrable to next owner. Regarding (1) terms of original transferrable powertrain warranty (I did not have my owners manual at time I wanted to check this out so called Lexus). Lexus person said engine,transmission, drive axle covered but engine control computer is NOT covered. . That sounded wrong so after getting that answer from person several times I checked Lexus website--engine control computer (probably very expensive) is covered. So, if answers you get from Lexus personnel (who are generally very helpful) does not sound right it is worth calling another person at Lexus to see what answer you get or checking Lexus website on your own.

Regarding item (2)transfer of CPO warranty. I called Lexus Customer Service to see if there were any plans to make CPO warranty transferrable to next owner (right now Lexis CPO warranty is not transferrable--BMW CPO warrenty is transferrable as point of interest). It would help sell car if new owner had warranty coverage. Customer service said to call Maritz Company who manages this for Lexus. I called them and person originally said CPO warranty was transferrable. When I said I had been told it was not transferrable he said Lexus has final say on that so call Lexus Financial who manages warranties.. at Lexus financial answer was CPO warranty continues not transferrable. By the way, this is the same person who told me powertrain warranty did not cover engine control computer so I might call again to see if some other person will give me a more favorable answer regarding transfer of CPO warranty--if anyone has more info about this please post to forum in this topic.

My apologies but what is CPO warranty? Is it the comprehensive 4 year or 80 000km (canadian numbers) warranty that comes with new Lexus? I just bought a 2007 with 41k and they told me that the comprehensive coverage is transferable as well as the extended warranty. I bought my Lexus at a Lexus Dealership.