98 Ls400 Phone Removal Question With Pics

miq

Hi

The phone was connected in such a way that i had to manually switch it off everytime i switched the car off so i decided to remove it. I have managed to dismantle the armrest and remove the handset. However the posts on this website tell me to disconnect the 2 large connectors and connect together - but this is not possible since both connectors are female ones???

could somebody look at the pics and show me what to do. OR if somebody can confirm that no current is being used then i will just leave the connectors as they are

thanks for your help guys

regard

miq

post-82804-0-58015600-1292498431_thumb.j

post-82804-0-78834000-1292498522_thumb.j

Unplug the connectors so that you can unbolt and remove the phone ECU from the car. Then see if there are two connectors that plug together. I've only done this on a friends 99 LS400 and it is possible that the 96 LS400 phone system is different.

If you don't find connectors that plug together after you remove the phone ECU, show us photos of the remaining connectors.

hi

ok i will have another look - maybe i have overlooked things amidst the jungle of wires

by the way this is a 1998 lexus ls400 which i have just bought (need to update my details)

regards

miq

I'm pretty sure that the fixed phone like you have is the same from 1998 through 2000. If you wamt to remove the phone ECU and get the cables up and out of the way, there may be a small plastic bracket at the bottom of the tool kit housing that is made to hold the two large connectors after they are plugged together (unless the phone installer discarded it) -- that's the way it comes from the factory. I posted a photo of the plastic bracket recently in another thread.

The other small white connector is taped up out of the way along with the gray coax cable that runs to the phone antenna imprinted on the inside of the rear window.

The other coax cable you might find runs to the center console - do you remember unplugging a coax cable under the armrest when you removed the handset? Not sure but the coax antenna cable under the armrest may be only for the portable Lexus phone.