Can You Lock The Doors?

LEXIRX330

OK guys not sure if I am missing something or not but here is my dilema...

It is cold out...real cold. I start my car up before I leave (2010 GX460) I have the remote in my pocket, start the car and when I get out of the car and try to lock the doors it will not lock. I can't lock using the lock button on the door or the remote fob. I am not sure why and I would think that you could lock the doors with the car running.

Am I missing something? :unsure:

It's a common safety feature of cars with a smart key (and without) to not be able to lock the doors from the outside. Some states consider it illegal to leave the car with a running engine and locked doors. Consider also people who leave small children in a locked car with running engine.

I believe there's also a section in the manual that states that in some exceptional circumstances, the car doesn't recognize the key, leaving the doors locked. I guess they consider it more dangerous whith the engine running and doors locked.

OK guys not sure if I am missing something or not but here is my dilema...

It is cold out...real cold. I start my car up before I leave (2010 GX460) I have the remote in my pocket, start the car and when I get out of the car and try to lock the doors it will not lock. I can't lock using the lock button on the door or the remote fob. I am not sure why and I would think that you could lock the doors with the car running.

Am I missing something? :unsure:

Not quite the same issue, but I have an after market remote start installed by my Lexus dealer. When I start the car, it unlocks the doors. I then have to re-lock the doors with the remote start fob. When I go out to get in the car I have to unlock it with the remote start fob as the factory fob is inoperable until you get in the car and push the start button 2 times to over ride the remote start cpu. If you do not push the start button 2 times, when you touch the brake pedal to put the car in gear, the engine dies. Also when started with the remote start, the personalized settings,(steering wheel, seat position, etc.) do not work. You have to manually push the button on the drivers door.

It sounds a lot more troublesome than it is, and all in all I would not be without it.

Paul

Paul I used to have a remote start on a car it was nice. When I leave my office at night I hate getting in the car when it is Freezing out with out starting it up. I may talk to the dealer about the remote start... I just dont want another fob or key or anything else to carry with me. I don't know It just seems since you get out of the car and leave it running you should be able to lock it as long as the keys are not in it.

I believe there's also a section in the manual that states that in some exeptional circumstances, the car doesn't recognize the key, leaving the doors locked. I guess they consider it more dangerous whith the engine running and doors locked.

The MANUAL, you mean I was supposed to read that intaker? :)

Actually I did read my manual and you are probably right. Still seems like you should be able to lock the doors.

you mean I was supposed to read that intaker?

Lol, nope, that's why we have the forum :lol: (as we don't want anyone waisting their time...)

I remember this same issue with a subaru. The dealer was able to re-program the locks to lock, regardless of engine running and in/out of car. I'm confident this idiot-protection :whistles: can be disabled by the dealer.