Front Brake Job Cost

Bobcuse44

Why shouldn't I get my brakes done at JUST BRAKES for $99 total incl rotor turning vs $269 for front brakes at the dealer? I admit the Lexus brakes have lasted a long time but the dealer is unusually high for brakes.

Brake jobs are one of those maintenance items the dealer uses to pay his overhead. It's a simple DIY if you have the necessary tools and the mechanical skills. There is no rocket science or higher-level mathematics required to service the brakes on these vehicles. That said, this is one of those routine maintenance jobs you should be able to safely farm out to an independent shop - especially one that specializes in brakes. WARNING: Be sure you understand EXACTLY what you get for that $99. It's not uncommon for shops to post 'teaser' rates and only later inform you of the other work needed to adequately perform the service. If you get much more than new pads installed for $99 then that has the makings of a real deal. FWIW, the price of replacement rotors for these vehicles is really inexpensive at most any Big Box parts store and for what it should cost to machine the old rotors, you can just about put new rotors on. I'd definitely look somewhere besides the dealer for this work.

Brake pad and rotor quality and durability seem to be highly variable in the aftermarket. Do you have prior experience with Just Brakes or have others recommended their products and work? Does your RX have brake wear sensors and can Just Brakes replace them if needed? My personal opinion is that the way to get the best service is to develop a relationship with people who maintain cars or anything else.

Whether I call Ben, the owner of the indie Lexus shop who has maintained our cars since 1996, or Larry who does all the window work on our house (we got windows!), or Gene, the dentist who has "maintained" my teeth since 1981, I know I'm going to get especially good service from people I'm on a first name basis with and who depend on my repeat business.