Ventureshield...to Apply Or Not?

larrymcj

I just purchased a new RX 350 and while I like the idea of the VentureShield film protection, I'm already noticing a problem with it on the door edges the dealership protected for free. With normal highway exhaust, emissions, etc. the front edges of the applied protective film easily (read every couple of days) become black with a buildup that I have to wipe off. On my white car, this is annoying. I'm thinking this is more pronounced here because the leading edges of the film are forward-facing so are more susceptible. I want to add VentureShield to the hood, mirror backs, and rest of the front but am hesitant. I would appreciate comments from anyone else on this, particularly if you have a white or light-color car. Thanks.

I just purchased a new RX 350 and while I like the idea of the VentureShield film protection, I'm already noticing a problem with it on the door edges the dealership protected for free. With normal highway exhaust, emissions, etc. the front edges of the applied protective film easily (read every couple of days) become black with a buildup that I have to wipe off. On my white car, this is annoying. I'm thinking this is more pronounced here because the leading edges of the film are forward-facing so are more susceptible. I want to add VentureShield to the hood, mirror backs, and rest of the front but am hesitant. I would appreciate comments from anyone else on this, particularly if you have a white or light-color car. Thanks.

I see you haven't gotten any responses yet, but it's been a slow day on the forum; don't give up yet.

I don't have the film on my car, but have looked at the 3M product a couple of times at my dealer. I have noticed the same problem as you, as that over time, with wear and road pollution, the edges become pronounced and look pretty rough.

Personally, I've never been sold on the concept of the product because in my mind a well cared for paint finish, detailed twice a year will look great and stand up to most road wear. I just don't feel comfortable with a film subjected to UVa&b rays along with 120 degree direct sun not to color shift or become somewhat opaque over time.

But those statements are based on no facts, just opinion.

Paul

I see you haven't gotten any responses yet, but it's been a slow day on the forum; don't give up yet.

I don't have the film on my car, but have looked at the 3M product a couple of times at my dealer. I have noticed the same problem as you, as that over time, with wear and road pollution, the edges become pronounced and look pretty rough.

Personally, I've never been sold on the concept of the product because in my mind a well cared for paint finish, detailed twice a year will look great and stand up to most road wear. I just don't feel comfortable with a film subjected to UVa&b rays along with 120 degree direct sun not to color shift or become somewhat opaque over time.

Paul

I sort of feel the same way, but my research with 3M on the product shows that UV rays penetrate it so the paint underneath will be equally affected by UV rays. Also, dealership backs this product up with a lifetime warranty which clearly states they will replace the product or paint/repair/replace any part of the car that is ever adversely affected by it.

Paul

I sort of feel the same way, but my research with 3M on the product shows that UV rays penetrate it so the paint underneath will be equally affected by UV rays. Also, dealership backs this product up with a lifetime warranty which clearly states they will replace the product or paint/repair/replace any part of the car that is ever adversely affected by it.

That sounds pretty good! If it gives you the protection that you want, go for it.

Paul

I've been using a more temporary protective approach. I found this clear wrap that goes on somwhat like the 3M product, but you only put it on when you need it. Iv'e found for most around town driving and everyday commutes I don't use it. But when I go on a long road trip, then I just wrap the front hood line and other high potential areas. When the trip is over, I go out and pull off all the clear protective film I put on and just toss it in the trash until the next trip. The stuuf I use is this:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/77898.do

I've been using a more temporary protective approach. I found this clear wrap that goes on somwhat like the 3M product, but you only put it on when you need it. Iv'e found for most around town driving and everyday commutes I don't use it. But when I go on a long road trip, then I just wrap the front hood line and other high potential areas. When the trip is over, I go out and pull off all the clear protective film I put on and just toss it in the trash until the next trip. The stuuf I use is this:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/77898.do

Smooth 1,

I like the idea of using something temporary. Sometimes I have to travel gravel roads and it would be nice to just put some of that film on and go.

Have you had any problems with the adhesive affecting the wax or polish on the paint?

Paul

I don't know kind of looks like a PIA to me. Looks like putting press and seal on the front of the car. Can you tell it is on there? How long to you leave it on smooth?

I guess since I have been driving SUVs I don't notice as many chips as I used to in a car. I thought about doing the 3m on the front of my gx but haven't got around to it so I don't even know if I will even do it at all now.

Larrymcj

If I remember correctly, my dealer charges around $900-1,200. for a full application. May I ask what your dealer charges?

Paul

Larrymcj

If I remember correctly, my dealer charges around $900-1,200. for a full application. May I ask what your dealer charges?

Paul

Holy crap...that's robbery! On any Lexus model here in Knoxville, the VentureShield is $698. That includes a run through the Auto Butler, then prepping all areas, applying the film, then another run through the Auto Butler. The areas covered are the entire front of the car, the front third of the hood, and the back of the mirrors. The job they do here is absolutely incredible...it's really hard to see unless you know it's on the vehicle. I've done more checking on this and 3M swears you can leave this on as long as you want on any color car and you won't see any difference when taking it off. UV rays definitely penetrate it so the entire car is equally exposed.

Also, I haven't noticed that slight buildup on the door edge guards...I must have been behind some heavily smoking trucks here on I40 :-)

Larrymcj

Paul

Holy crap...that's robbery! On any Lexus model here in Knoxville, the VentureShield is $698. That includes a run through the Auto Butler, then prepping all areas, applying the film, then another run through the Auto Butler. The areas covered are the entire front of the car, the front third of the hood, and the back of the mirrors. The job they do here is absolutely incredible...it's really hard to see unless you know it's on the vehicle. I've done more checking on this and 3M swears you can leave this on as long as you want on any color car and you won't see any difference when taking it off. UV rays definitely penetrate it so the entire car is equally exposed.

Also, I haven't noticed that slight buildup on the door edge guards...I must have been behind some heavily smoking trucks here on I40 :-)

Jumping rip off Batman! That's a substanial differance in price. If I decide do it I will look around and get some bids. When you get yours applied let us know how it went and about how long it took.

It all depends on how good you get at putting it on. I think the most time I have spent putting it on was about 10 minutes to cover the front facing parts if the car and side view mirrors. I've only ever had it on for a couple days to a week at a time, really just for the long drive to protect the paint, and during our Love Bug season. I can't tell you how nice this stuff works for that! Mn it's saved me hours of car washing!! I put the film on, as the bugs start caking on the front of the car, I just peel that off, quick wash and rinse, then a new film goes on, and we're good for the week again.

It all depends on how good you get at putting it on. I think the most time I have spent putting it on was about 10 minutes to cover the front facing parts if the car and side view mirrors. I've only ever had it on for a couple days to a week at a time, really just for the long drive to protect the paint, and during our Love Bug season. I can't tell you how nice this stuff works for that! Mn it's saved me hours of car washing!! I put the film on, as the bugs start caking on the front of the car, I just peel that off, quick wash and rinse, then a new film goes on, and we're good for the week again.

That sounds like an excellent use. Around here, during the summer evenings, we have scores of moths that plaster the hood, grill, and windshield. The film would really help.

Thanks,

Larrymcj

Paul

Jumping rip off Batman! That's a substanial differance in price. If I decide do it I will look around and get some bids. When you get yours applied let us know how it went and about how long it took.

I'm scheduled for next Monday...will let you know. The Lexus prep & design center here told me the actual time for doing the AutoButler prep, then warming up the body, making sure every microscopic particle of dust was off the care (clean room just like for painting), then applying the film takes about 5-7 hours. They have one dedicated employee who was trained by 3M and she is the only person allowed to apply the VentureShield. I think the film concept gets a bad rap because of the other wannabe films out there that do cause paint issues if left on for years. 3M warranties no problems at all and the dealership gave me a written document saying they would fix any problems.

Larrymcj

Paul

I'm scheduled for next Monday...will let you know. The Lexus prep & design center here told me the actual time for doing the AutoButler prep, then warming up the body, making sure every microscopic particle of dust was off the care (clean room just like for painting), then applying the film takes about 5-7 hours. They have one dedicated employee who was trained by 3M and she is the only person allowed to apply the VentureShield. I think the film concept gets a bad rap because of the other wannabe films out there that do cause paint issues if left on for years. 3M warranties no problems at all and the dealership gave me a written document saying they would fix any problems.

Sounds like your good to go, & and with a good package. Let us know next week how it went.