Cigarette Lighter Doesn't Work

redsully

You'll have to check the ground on the light circuit. You can use a multimeter. Or physically remove the lighter and you will see the connections underneath. Probably the common has a good connection to the ground but has come loose at the lighter itself. I usually tap off the lighter for auxillary stuff, so I put a terminal strip in at the lighter positive and negative and hard wire from there. I haven't done it in this car yet, but I will.

Ahhh cigarette lighters, mine went out about a year ago, i just replaced the whole thing it only cost me $17.00 from lexus. :D

On a sad note my da** radar dector fell cracked open and crossed wires wich in turn fried two wiring harnesses in my car :angry: Total repairs with an employee discount 2900 and so far they have had it for three weeks another 2 to go unitll the harnesses are even here, Stupid wires being on backorder :(

Should have treid getting one ordered throught tap instead

A usual problem is something like a coin falling in the socket. Or the fuses if not already checked. What else have you tried to plug in the socket? The lighter and the car charger plug?

my da** radar dector fell cracked open and crossed wires wich in turn fried two wiring harnesses in my car :angry: Total repairs with an employee discount 2900 and so far they have had it for three weeks another 2 to go unitll the harnesses are even here

My main question is.....how the f*ck? :huh:

Was the radar detector plugged into the car lighter or did you hardwire it to the car yourself?

$2900?

?

??

???

my da** radar dector fell cracked open and crossed wires wich in turn fried two wiring harnesses in my car  :angry: Total repairs with an employee discount 2900 and so far they have had it for three weeks another 2 to go unitll the harnesses are even here

My main question is.....how the f*ck? :huh:

Was the radar detector plugged into the car lighter or did you hardwire it to the car yourself?

$2900?

?

??

???

What do you mean how One end of the wire had a radar dector the other end had the end that went into a cig lighter, like a cell phone charger does.

That's beyond odd.

There should be a fuse on the cigarette lighter that pops at about 15amps.

If that happened to me, I'd tear the dealership a new @$$hole.

Anyone have any opinions on how this might have happened?

Not on the 1992 model the mechanic thought the same thing then pulled out the schematics they didnt add the fusable link untill i think he said 94 or 95

Sounds very strange to me.

It's a known fact that the cigarrete lighter needs to be fused.

There have been numerous people who have dropped dimes into their cigarrete lighters. Repairs cost them about $1.99 from Radio Shack.

Tell me about it but the mechanic spent the first night with it trying to figure out if it could have been caused any other way and it doesnt appear so. I also got a good look at my wiring harnsesses...ouch....they traced it back to starting at the cig lighter but no idea why.

I have tried other 12 volt power accessories, to no avail. The radar detector I have is wired on the same circuit, and I have checked the fuse, so that is ruled out. I guess I'll have to open the dashboard up again. Darn. There goes Saturday!

Tested it for what???? The radar dector is busted completely now, it had fallen a couple times before and on this fall it just completely casing came apart and so did wires, thats what i get for having a cheap radar dector