Adding Electrical Acc Connector To Golve Box?

roadtrash

I have a '08 ES350 and want to wire an extra 12vdc accessory connector inside the glove box. I want to use it to power a GPS unit and leave the one in the console free. I was going to poke around to find power in the console and run the wires under the dash and into the glove box. I was just curious if anyone had done this and had some advice.

Thanks in advance, Jim

I did exactly that - bought a 5 dollar 12V extension cord at a discount store, chopped the cigarette lighter plug off the end of it and attached its wires to the wires leading to the accessory port under the armrest of my 00 LS400 with Scotch-lock connectors. I've read more than once that splicing into the cigarette lighter or power port wires on some Lexus models can over power the circuit and blow the fuse if the accessory draws too much power. I haven't had that happen but maybe my old Magellan GPS doesn't draw much power.

If I was doing it today, I might try using an "Add-a-circuit" (sometimes called a piggyback) fuse at the under dash fuse box - photo attached. The Add-a-circuit and similar products come in both full and miniature fuse sizes and are specifically made to power accessories like a GPS. They seem unavailable where I live but you can find one on the Internet.

One problem with the Add-a-circuit type connectors that some of them are too big to allow closing the fuse box cover. There are also spade-type connectors with attached wires that one can insert directly into a fuse box terminal next to the fuse spade itself -- that's how an installer powered a fixed phone in my first Lexus over 20 years ago.

Here's the old thread about my GPS install in my LS: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38436&st=0&p=248047&hl=magellan&fromsearch=1entry248047

I later hid all the power cords inside the center stack. I did a similar install of a Garmin on a bracket in my wife's Camry. Photos are in my forum gallery.

post-2157-0-59889400-1292081917_thumb.jp

Jim,

Awesome solution! This is exactly what I was hoping to find. I'll do a web search for the "add-a-circuit" to find a vendor. Fused power source, dedicated line. I have old '02 CLK convertible I decided to keep and want to do the same thing on that car also (mount my Garmin Zumo to the dash using a RAM ball mount near the center ventilation ducts).

Huge thanks! Jim

I tied into the existing accessory outlet to power my XM radio... mounted to the console with a Ram mount BTW...

I've also tied into the lighter wire and put a permenent wire along the glass/ dash for my Garmin GPS...

Jim, Could I see a pic of your Ram mount please. Jim