Cost To Repair Dent

gDub

Came out of the mall yesterday to find a massive dent in the hood of my RX. I have no idea who, what or how, but I am *BLEEP*ed, to say the least. I have the Titanium protection package which should cover paintless dent repair, but I'm not 100% certain they would cover this size of dent. [see attached photos]

Does anyone have enough experience to guesstimate the amount of work required to repair this dent, and the potential cost?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers!

post-124081-0-55133500-1291815926_thumb.

post-124081-0-06718500-1291815940_thumb.

Also, the PDR people should be able to tell you right away if they can do it, even before they start. It would definitely be a better way to go than having a new hood installed and painted. <_<

So apparently the dent is not covered by the protection package, and I was told that the metal used on the hoods is softer than the rest of the body, so I would have to take it to a body shop, and even then they can't guarantee the quality of the finished product (unless the hood is replaced). Seriously?! The dealer said it would be about $350 to 'try' to repair it.

I've already had to replace a $1,200 windshield from a stone chip, and now this - I'm starting to regret my decision to buy into the 'Lexus' experience. :( It also didn't help that I just got back from the dealership with a $350 oil change. WTF!? I expected the cost of owning/maintaining a luxury vehicle like this would be higher, but I'm not feeling very good about it thus far.

So apparently the dent is not covered by the protection package, and I was told that the metal used on the hoods is softer than the rest of the body, so I would have to take it to a body shop, and even then they can't guarantee the quality of the finished product (unless the hood is replaced). Seriously?! The dealer said it would be about $350 to 'try' to repair it.

I've already had to replace a $1,200 windshield from a stone chip, and now this - I'm starting to regret my decision to buy into the 'Lexus' experience. :( It also didn't help that I just got back from the dealership with a $350 oil change. WTF!? I expected the cost of owning/maintaining a luxury vehicle like this would be higher, but I'm not feeling very good about it thus far.

Hi gDub,

If I may, what is your deductible on your auto policy? The damage to your hood should be covered regardless of which way you choose to repair the damage. The Lexus had nothing to do with getting the dent in your hood. "Don't shoot the messenger". lol

Also, what else did you have done beside changing the oil when you took it in for service? I pay $60. for an oil $ filter plus all fluids, tires checked, all other usual checks and wash. That is about $30. more than I used to pay for an older American car I had.

Paul

Hi gDub,

If I may, what is your deductible on your auto policy? The damage to your hood should be covered regardless of which way you choose to repair the damage. The Lexus had nothing to do with getting the dent in your hood. "Don't shoot the messenger". lol

Also, what else did you have done beside changing the oil when you took it in for service? I pay $60. for an oil $ filter plus all fluids, tires checked, all other usual checks and wash. That is about $30. more than I used to pay for an older American car I had.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I understand and agree that the dent is not the fault of Lexus, and of course I can't blame them for the fact that the protection package won't cover the damage. The frustrating part, however, is that it seems like a somewhat harmless dent becomes not so harmless because of the cost of parts and labour. My Insurance deductible is $500 so it doesn't make sense to go that direction.

As for the oil change, yes it was not just a regular oil change, but it was only the 2nd routine maintenance check that's been done. The maintenance included the typical inspections, fluid top ups, as well as a battery test and new cabin filter. $346.91 including tax. I just put on new winter tires before going in, so they were not rotated, and because I left the wheel lock key at home (duh!), the brakes were not inspected. Seem a little high, or is it just me?!

Don't get me wrong - I love my RX450h, and still look forwarding to driving it every day...just venting my frustration. ;)

Come on...someone hit your car...you can't blame Lexus for that. I agree, only way to repair that and have it be 100% is to replace the hood, I would take it to a good shop and just do that. OEM windshields for ANY car cost $1,000+ if you pay out of pocket.

The protection package is for paintless dent removal, thats a bad dent and it isn't repairable with PDR. You can't expect them to fix every body damage for $1,000 upfront. Thats possibly a $1,000 repair right there. Lexus bulk autobody parts aren't expensive, bodywork just isn't cheap. Take it to a good independent body shop with references and get some estimates.

Just because its a *Lexus* doesn't make it immune to rocks hitting it or people running into it.

As for the $350 oil change, thats a 5k service including a tire rotation etc. On par with other luxury car dealers. Loaner cars, marble, cookies & coffee, flat screen TVs & jazz music don't come cheap. I recommend finding a good independent shop.

• 3 years later...

I think cost to repair your car dent must be $1000 TO $1200. But i am not sure if you want proper estimate you should visit to an auto body shop near to you. if you belongs to Temple Hills, MD then you must visit to Marlow Auto Body shop they will give you a rough estimate. I have been regular customer of the Marlow auto body shop and it provides expert services that will makes your car running smooth as ever

Not sure how the souring on "Lexus experience" and cost of owning/maintaining luxury car relates to this dent on hood.

Like most hoods on modern vehicles today (lux or not), it's aluminum. Sure looks like an act of vandalism.

• 2 weeks later...