90K Service, Timing Belt, Water Pump

kevin4747

I bought an immaculate 92 SC400 with 94K miles, but I'm trying to figure out how to handle bringing the car to Lexus to address a brief and strange overheat. I started to use heat in December, temp gauge went past normal, then heat kicked in and gauge dropped right back to level, a helpful member said possibly a bad thermostat or low coolant, reccomends pressure test to look for leaks, which I'm going to do at the dealership, but the strange thing is at the 90K service with the new timing belt, it didn't get a new water pump. I've been reading forums for a couple hrs a day and it seems like a cardinal rule that you always do timing belt and water pump together. I know the previous owner would not have skimped on any repair because he elected to have all reccomended maintenance done right away at the Lexus dealership. So I'm trying to figure out whether I'll be getting ripped off if they say the overheating issue needs to be fixed with a new water pump, and therefore a new timing belt, even though the previous owner paid for it as part of $2500 worth of routine maintenance less than a year ago.

Is it dangerous to add some coolant/distilled water to resorvoir in order to make it a few days til my appointment at the dealership. A member claiming to be a Lexus technician said this could destroy the UZ V8 as it has to be done as part of a lengthy process. I know to get the Toyota red/pink coolant and distilled water, any advice would be helpful.

No, it is not dangerous to top up the overflow tank with the coolant (the only Toyota coolant I've seen and used is premixed with water so adding water to it is not done) but it could be damaging to drive the car if it is overheating.

No, it is not dangerous to top up the overflow tank with the coolant (the only Toyota coolant I've seen and used is premixed with water so adding water to it is not done) but it could be damaging to drive the car if it is overheating.

With car cold; mark the expansion tank to fluid level(should be at the cold line.) Crank and run car. Yeah, I know I saw your other post. Once the car is up to temp (needle is mid way); the themostat is supposed to be open. Re-check your expansion tank. Once everthing is hot and flowing; 'cause it's open; the level should rise. If not; there is blockage. The only things that will block; as far as I can think; are: themostat, heater core, and water pump not working. I think it's going to be the themostat. Read and re-post.

• 1 month later...

Got a brand new radiator and thermostat at the dealership, w/labor and coolant flush/refill it was $1280, they said the old radiator wasn't circulating correctly. Expensive, but worth it since it's all warrantied for a year.

Next, I need to find an ECM. The service rep said I could probably find a used one online for about a hundred bucks, and he'll install it for free, any suggestions?

Also, anyone know of a good school to go to in order to become a Lexus technician?