Help Newbie

FredD

Hello. I am the proud new owner of a 92 SC 400 with 212k miles. I am enjoying the car but Im not an automotive expert and I have a few basic questions.

The overdrive. Should I leave it on or off? I have been leaving it off and only turning it on at highway speeds, is this correct?

The traction control button, should I leave it off generally and only turn it on in rain/snow?

Oil. 10-30 or 5-30 for colorado weather.

I also want a new seat and paint, can someone direct me to a reputable source for parts? Thank you in advance. As you can see I dont know much about cars so you wont offend me going real basic in answering. thanks.

Leave the overdrive on all the time. The only situations where you "might" want to turn it off would be while towing a trailer, while descending a steep hill to get a little "engine braking" or to avoid "hunting" between the gears when driving in hilly terrain. I think this may be explained in your owners manual. In 20+ years of driving Lexus V8 cars, I've never had to turn overdrive off or manually shift the gear selector to a lower gear.

Leave the traction control on all the time unless you are in an unusual (rare) situation (like stuck in the mud where you need a little wheel spin) where you need to turn it off. When you need traction control, you might not have time to turn it on.

Use the recommended oil vicosity - that would be 5W30.

You might first try eBay, Craigslist or a recycler for used parts. If you want new parts you can get a pretty good deal by registering with your forum member name on http://lexus.sewellparts.com/ .