2010 Es 350 Usb Port Also Powers Iphone?

timzter

Can someone verify if plugging the iPhone (3Gs in my case) to the 2010 ES 350's USB port also powers the phone? I hope so, because you can charge the iPhone by plugging it into the USB port of your laptop.

If YES, that's great, but then why do we need the cigarette-lighter type outlet in the storage compartment?

If NO, then that sucks because then we can't play music on the iPhone on a long trip without having to repeatedly unplug the phone from the USB port and plugging it into the cigarette-lighter type outlet in the storage compartment.

Can someone verify if plugging the iPhone (3Gs in my case) to the 2010 ES 350's USB port also powers the phone? I hope so, because you can charge the iPhone by plugging it into the USB port of your laptop.

If YES, that's great, but then why do we need the cigarette-lighter type outlet in the storage compartment?

If NO, then that sucks because then we can't play music on the iPhone on a long trip without having to repeatedly unplug the phone from the USB port and plugging it into the cigarette-lighter type outlet in the storage compartment.

I have an Ipod Touch and I believe that it charges it when hooked up to the usb outlet. There are two reasons why I think it charges it (1) it has never run down while playing it through the usb outlet and always seems to be fully charged; (2) when you hook the Touch up to a device that does not charge it, you get a message on the Touch that says that the device will not charge it. I have an old Altec-Lancing player that would charge and play my old Ipod, but for some reason will not charge the newer Ipod Touch. On the other hand, my newer Bose Soundsystem 10 will both play and charge the Touch. I think that the Ipod Touch and Iphone use the same charging system.

As far as the cigarette-lighter outlet in the storage compartment, I assume that it is for non usb devises such as a GPS navigation unit or other devises that run from a cigarette lighter.

Yep it charges.

The cigarette lighter outlet is to charge things that don't plug into the USB port. For instance a cell phone...

Unless you have an IPhone ;)

Then you can use the USB. Told you need an iPhone sw! :lol:

Oh I know I need an iPhone...once it hits Verizon!

Only issue is the need to plug it in and unplug it all the time. I think I would leave my music on my iPod Nano and leave it in the console like I do now.

Have you ever tried streaming the audio from the iPhone over Bluetooth?

Have you ever tried streaming the audio from the iPhone over Bluetooth?

Do it all the time. Never plug the phone in with the USB unless it needs a charge. The bluetooth works great.

• 3 weeks later...

Just connect the I phone as a music player this is different then pairing your phone to make calls but just about the same process...its just another step that is it. Once you have paired it click audio Bluetooth and that's it. I also have the 3GS.

Make sure the volume is turned up on the iPhone itself...

You know I thought this made a difference too but it doesn't...the volume of the iPhone becomes fixed...so you can't adjust the volume on the phone once it is connected. I thought you could but someone corrected me on here...went and tried it and sure enough I was wrong. To tell you the truth I use Pandora all of the time and I always start it before I get in the GX and have the volume as low as it can be...kind of muted and when I get in and the Bluetooth connects it starts playing fine. Have been doing that since I have had the GX and never thought about it. This is of course unless there is something I haven't learned yet! :cheers:

Make sure the volume is turned up on the iPhone itself...

You know I thought this made a difference too but it doesn't...the volume of the iPhone becomes fixed...so you can't adjust the volume on the phone once it is connected. I thought you could but someone corrected me on here...went and tried it and sure enough I was wrong. To tell you the truth I use Pandora all of the time and I always start it before I get in the GX and have the volume as low as it can be...kind of muted and when I get in and the Bluetooth connects it starts playing fine. Have been doing that since I have had the GX and never thought about it. This is of course unless there is something I haven't learned yet! :cheers:

STOP!...don't do that. You were having a "modest" moment!! I'm certain it will pass...soon. LOL!

Paul

Well I stand corrected again!

If you connect via USB. The volume is locked. However when you connect via Bluetooth...as I almost always do the volume is adjustable. What has kind of confused me is I always start pandora before getting in the car the volume is all the way down and when the bluetooth connection is made it raises the volume all the way up. I did think it was locked but it is not. THE USB is absolutley locked and the volume can't be adjusted.

:cheers:

I never thought about using Pandora...cool...

Pandora is the best. I renewed my SAT radio for Traffic and Weather...which I don't use that much but...all I listen to is Pandora...

• 4 weeks later...

Well I stand corrected again!

If you connect via USB. The volume is locked. However when you connect via Bluetooth...as I almost always do the volume is adjustable. What has kind of confused me is I always start pandora before getting in the car the volume is all the way down and when the bluetooth connection is made it raises the volume all the way up. I did think it was locked but it is not. THE USB is absolutley locked and the volume can't be adjusted.

:cheers:

I have a 2010 ES and a Blackberry bold phone. I use the bluetooth phone connection to make and receiver calls, but can I use the Pandora app on my phone to play music through the car speakers via Bluetooth? If so, how do you do it?

LOL. Just wait the iPhone 5 will get releases as soon as you get it. I have had my iPad 3 months there it an iPad 2 coming out soon! You will love the iPhone the only people I know who don't like them is people who like a real keyboard. I have been happy with AT&T.

• 1 year later...

Good day all -

I have a 2007 ES350 with the in dash navi. Can someone walk me through connecting a phone to stram audio via bluetooth? I dont see the option of "pairing a music player" as LexiIRX330 states.

Also, i havent posted in a while but i'd like to give a shoutout to SW03ES for suggesting the Michelin Primacy tires a few years back. Ive put about 55,000 miles on those tires and they still ride great.