Help! Wtaer Stains On Leather Seats

Like a moron I left the sun roof tolted open last night and we had a pretty good rain all evening.

At around 8 this morning we discover the front seats had standing water on them. I took a rag and dried away the water. However the area that had water is now a shade or two lighter than the rest of the leather.

We have the light tan leather seats. My wife took the car to work so I do not know if these stains will stay or will dry out.

Assuming the stains will stay what can I do to fix this problem?

The leather is in otherwise excellent conditon.

Well maybe I'm answering my own question here but this is what I found on leathersolutions.com. Any comments woudl be much appreciated.

+++

Water stains in leather? Clean water stains such as condensation from a glass is easily treated with clean water! You have a stain because the water drop has dried in the middle of a piece of leather. It has a clear point of demarcation to the rest of the leather. What you want to do is reduce that point of demarcation by wetting the entire cushion or area out to a seam or edge. Take a bowl of room temp water and a new sponge. Soak the sponge wring it as dry as possible and starting at the spot dampen the leather and move the sponge to the edges of the cushion. Allowing the moisture to become less and less as you get further from the spot. Do not scrub, just wipe. You do not want to soak the leather just get it damp enough at the stain to release the stain and wet the rest of the leather so that the entire cushion can dry uniformly across the cushion rather than in that one spot. Water has a tendency to dry leather’s natural “oils” so it is best to condition the leather after getting rid of the stain with “The Leather Solution” Cleaner, Conditioner and Protector. Hidey’s Beauty Treatment. Dirty water or tea, coffee, soda can be treated the same way but may leave it’s own mark. That requires professional care.

.. and yet a third post in my own thread...

Turns out to have been a false alarm. When my wife returned form work the water satins had dried away completely.

Well at least its good to know I can get the seats wet a little bit.

Of course I already ran out and bought a cleaner and a conditioner.

I’m glad it worked out for you. :D

As stated water doesn’t usually harm leather, sometimes if left long enough it will dry out the oils. Leather’s tanning process is by immersion in a vat of water, and IMO the best way to clean it is with a water/Woolite solution 5:1

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*