99 Lexus Gs400 - Hid Headlight Issue

First off, sorry for another Lexus Headlight thread-

I have run the range of GS400 problems from wheel falling off with failed ball joint to the rumbling at 60mph to the classic non locking doors and the mystery will not start-

So now it is time for the HID & Ballast - When the wheel fell off my headlight had been out already so at the Lexus dealership I asked them to replace it- Naturally it was $1400 for Ballast, bulb & Labor - Yes I saved myself 20K in lawyers fees by not running the car through the glass display room. Needless to say I didn't let them replace the headlight.

I have been told that the HID conversion kits will not work with cars that came factory stock HID's - I need not only the ballast replaced but the bulb and the socket the bulb plugs into. I do not know what to do at this point, as I have read threads were folks say conversion kits work yet I have called a few companies selling them and they say they wont.

If someone can point me to the right place, right part etc I would be apreciative- I do not plan on doing the work myself and I dont know a D2S/D2R/D2C from an R2D2. I have looked on ebay, Googled, but need an exact place to order from.

Thanks

Pat

Car has 117K on it just replaced the starter, ball joints(along with rim, speed sensor and about $2000 of misc parts from incident), brakes in last year-

Does your GS have HID from the factory? Or were they added after market?

D2R is the factory HID bulb "size". D2S "looks" the same (actually, the bulbs will still fit in a D2R housing) but there's a difference. D2R bulbs are designed for reflector housings, while D2S are designed for projector housings. 98-04 GS takes D2R. And D2C is a "weird" bulb size that isn't used in OEM vehicles.

You need the factory HID headlights and ballasts. Try eBay.

Does your GS have HID from the factory? Or were they added after market?

D2R is the factory HID bulb "size". D2S "looks" the same (actually, the bulbs will still fit in a D2R housing) but there's a difference. D2R bulbs are designed for reflector housings, while D2S are designed for projector housings. 98-04 GS takes D2R. And D2C is a "weird" bulb size that isn't used in OEM vehicles.

You need the factory HID headlights and ballasts. Try eBay.

Yes they are HID from the factory which of course is the problem- I have been searching EBAY but only seem to come up with conversion kits etc. Unless I am searching totally wrong but I have tried tons of different phrases etc to get ones to come up.

Thanks will keep looking on ebay

Best place for new bulbs if you are needing D2S is theretrfitsource.com they have Phillips 4300k (2 for $95) u can also upgrade to projectors if your mechanically sound enough to pop out your headlights and attach projector to your reflector... I am going to be doing just that this Thursday.. Will try and get some pics up.

• 10 years later...

I have a GS 400 Lexus Wich u know have the HID lights , I recently purchased a set of 35 w D1S HID new 8000k headlight that comes with I'm guessing the conversion box or whatever it's is but my question is as y'all know the Lexus comes with HID hook ups so how do I hook this light up to my plug that is already made for HID?