Lexus Rx450H Loud Buzzing Noise At Idle

Hello,

I just recently purchased a new 2011 Lexus RX450h.

I am now getting a pretty loud buzzing noise when the car is at idle. (especially just after starting up)

I attached a sound file. Is this normal? The dealer says it is normal. They said because it is a Hybrid.

I find that very hard to believe. It sounds like a car with a bad bearing or something.

After spending the amount of money I spent on this car I would not expect it to make any "odd" noises.

Any help would be appreciated.

The noise was recorded next to the passenger side wheel well. At the end I placed the recorder near the oil pan.

It seems like this noise is coming from the area near the oil pan.

Thank You,

Peter Geremia

rx450-2011-engine-noise.wav

Since there is no sound level to indicate scale such as a voice or other "normal" sound, its hard to judge if the sound is normal or not. Operating machinery will always make noise.

Try recording the sound again with a normal spoken voice over and maybe hit the throttle to provide contrast with the care reving or even moving. That would help.

Are you saying that this sound is noticeable only after startup? After you've been driving a while and stop at a light, the sound is no longer heard?

Are you saying that this sound is noticeable only after startup? After you've been driving a while and stop at a light, the sound is no longer heard?

The noise is always there. But it is loudest when first starting the car. You have the standard engine noise that everyone expects. This noise is above

and beyond standard engine noise.

I use the remote starter in the morning and I can hear that buzzing/whining noise from inside the house. It is not a deafening noise, but it just is not what I expect from

a Lexus.

The sound sort of sounds like a car that is low on power steering fluid. It is really annoying...... The noise is loudest in the area of the oil pan on the passenger side of the vehicle.

If anyone else has a RX450H and can listen to my recording, I would be interested if they hear the same type of noise.

• Like 1

The noise is always there. But it is loudest when first starting the car. You have the standard engine noise that everyone expects. This noise is above

and beyond standard engine noise.

I use the remote starter in the morning and I can hear that buzzing/whining noise from inside the house. It is not a deafening noise, but it just is not what I expect from

a Lexus.

The sound sort of sounds like a car that is low on power steering fluid. It is really annoying...... The noise is loudest in the area of the oil pan on the passenger side of the vehicle.

If anyone else has a RX450H and can listen to my recording, I would be interested if they hear the same type of noise.

Also, this noise is only present when the engine is running. When the engine shuts off the car is very quiet as expected.

Are all the fluids at the proper levels?

I brought it in to my Lexus dealer and they said the car is fine. They checked everything. They said the noise is normal for a hybrid.

The funny thing is that my 2007 RX400h was making this weird metal to metal clanging noise when the car was idling. They

said that was normal for a hybrid. It even got louder over time and they said the same thing. So that is why I just dont believe them on this

issue. I called Lexus and they are going to investigate. I just am trying to find another RX450h owner and see if they hear the same

thing. I have had the car for only about a month! :(

Can't help you with the 450h, but the metal to metal clanging noise at idle was likely because you needed to do the ISC reset (idle speed control reset). One of the symptoms of the ISC needing to be reset (this was needed if the 12 volt battery was disconnected or run below 7 volts or so) was a pronounced clatter from the transaxle at idle. Look under the sticky post about TSBs in this forum for the TSB regarding ISC (not that it helps now that you have a 450, but if the dealer didn't know about the ISC reset on your old 400h, my guess is they know diddly squat about the 450 as well)

Can't help you with the 450h, but the metal to metal clanging noise at idle was likely because you needed to do the ISC reset (idle speed control reset). One of the symptoms of the ISC needing to be reset (this was needed if the 12 volt battery was disconnected or run below 7 volts or so) was a pronounced clatter from the transaxle at idle. Look under the sticky post about TSBs in this forum for the TSB regarding ISC (not that it helps now that you have a 450, but if the dealer didn't know about the ISC reset on your old 400h, my guess is they know diddly squat about the 450 as well)

Wow.. Now this is very upsetting to hear. One of my reasons for going to the RX450h was because I was worried the "clatter" noise on the Rx400h was a serious problem. Thank you very much for this info. Hopefully a RX450h owner out there will have more info on the buzzing/whining noise I am hearing at idle.

Do you have access to the RX450H TSBs? Or can you point me to the location so that I can download?

Thank You,

-Pete

Here is the link to search for any TSB's.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm

I have a 2010 450h (Purchased new in October, 2010), and I do not have that loud sound at idle that you have.

The best bet is to do exactly what you are planning to do---park next to a few other 450h's and listen to the difference at a Lexus dealer.

Here is a recording of my 2010 RX450h, purchased in Dec of 09. I am standing beside the front passenger side wheel, and I start talking at about 00:28 for comparison.

Hope this helps.

[oops - forgot to attach the file the first time around]

Thank you so much for making the recording. I really appreciate it. So it pretty much sounds like my car. I guess that is just how the Lexus Rx450h sounds. I think the sound from your car is more consistent than mine, but it is the same. I am really surprised the engine sounds like this. You would think that it would be quiet as this is a Lexus! Thanks again! -Pete

Here is a recording of my 2010 RX450h, purchased in Dec of 09. I am standing beside the front passenger side wheel, and I start talking at about 00:28 for comparison.

Hope this helps.

[oops - forgot to attach the file the first time around]

Thank you so much for making the recording. I really appreciate it. So it pretty much sounds like my car. I guess that is just how the Lexus Rx450h sounds. I think the sound from your car is more consistent than mine, but it is the same. I am really surprised the engine sounds like this. You would think that it would be quiet as this is a Lexus! Thanks again! -Pete

No problem. I agree that it could be quieter, but for a V6 it doesn't seem too bad for me. It also helps that the cabin is so tight - I find the engine noise and road noise to be minimal.

Cheers!

A bit late to this conversation but our 2010 450h makes the same sound when cold. As it approaches full operating temperature it does not. I believe it's associated with a fast idle used to accelerate bringing the engine up to temperature since the engine is; 1) certainly idling faster than when a normal operating temp and, 2) at warmer ambient temp's, say above 60 or so, the occurence is noticeably reduced.