99 Ls400 (Ucf20) With Ipod

dormicum

There are 2 ways that I know of. One is a post from probably more than a year ago. you'll just have tosearch for it.

It involves wiring into the amplifier with a relay etc. The amp is under the passenger seat. The easy way is buying an adapter that slips into the cassette player. This is what I did. It works pretty well but mine has a little bit of background hum in it. They sell these on Ebay, good luck!

• 3 months later...

I was just reading that post yesterday, if I remember correctly it involves wiring in relays (4 total) to the output for the CD changer, and I think it also required playing a blank CD to trick the system into switching to the CD input. This would give you CD quality depending on your soldering skills but more work than I wanted to attempt, and I don't like cutting the factory wiring if I can avoid it. I'm using a cassette adaptor in my '99 w/Nakamichi sys with an Ipod and an Iphone4 although one side is lower in volume than the other. It's in the adaptor itself, I've used it in other vehicles with the same results. I've previously tried a Sony adaptor and the one I use now, a Monster Cable adaptor. Both had good sound quality but left-right level issues, so I think the alignment of the adaptor with the head may be a factor. I also use a Belkin FM transmitter in my company vehicle with good results although it's a 2000 chevy astro van with the factory radio so it's a mediocre system. I do get some static when I move the cable to my device, which houses the antenna, but when it pays normally there's no static or interference. I may try an FM transmitter on my Nakamichi as well. You can hear the cassette deck motor run while using the adaptor, and there's the wire running from the deck to my device. An Ipod/Iphone compatible FM device will also give you charging capabilities and can be stashed out of sight in the center console.

If anyone makes a direct plug-in plug-n-play solution for adding an mp3 player to the Pioneer/Nakamichi systems I haven't seen it.