Help! Low Beam Headlight Is Out!

kitty_cat528

Hi, I own a 2004 Lexus ES330. The low beam left headlight is out so I purchased a Sylvania HID D2R bulb to replace it. I removed the old bulb but getting the new bulb in place seems impossible. I cannot get the bulb inserted and the retaining clip latched back on. I have searched and searched the net for detailed instructions with diagrams or tutorials but no luck. And the manual just says to have the dealer repair it. Can someone please help? Thank you in advance!

That's the wrong bulb. You need to match the other one... Philips D2R 4300k.

BUT, the bulb you got should "fit". Try making sure the notches in the bulb base line up.

The brand of the bulb (Phillips, Sylvania, etc.) does not matter as long as it is the correct bulb type. If your car has the optional HID headlights, D2R is the correct bulb type - maybe you are inserting the bulb upside down?

If your car does not have the HID option, http://www.sylvania.com/ shows that the correct halogen bulb type is "H7". On my 00 LS, the bulb type is shown on the lower outboard corner of each headlight lens but I do not know if the bulb type is shown on the 04 ES330 headlight lenses.

Here is a link to the specifications and option list for the 2004 ES330: http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/2004/2004ESspecs.pdf

Just can't figure out why Lexus won't publish directions for something as simple as changing out a bulb?!?!? Go figure...

I assume it is to enhance dealer profit. Bulb replacement instructions were deleted from U.S. Lexus owners manuals in the mid-1990's. Before that, there were very detailed instructions in the owners manuals.