Steering Wheel Telescoping And Tilt Motors.

Mile_High_Flyer

This is just some information that may help somebody at some stage. My 1999 LS400 steering column wouldn't retract as far as it should. So I took the covers off to see what I could find. It would go about half way in, then stop, as if it had come against a solid restriction. I couldn't see anything that would stop it, so figured it had to be something inside the column, although it didn't seem very likely. So I took the clamp off that holds the threaded nut that runs up and down the threaded motor shaft to operate the telescoping mechanism. I then operated the motor to be sure it was running free in both directions. It ran fine, then came to a stop. So I tried it the other way, with the same result. Run a few seconds, then stop. I did this a number of times in both directions to confirm what I was seeing. The motor unit apparently has built in stops in both directions. So I took the nut off, operated the motor to the fully up position, made sure the column was fully extended, then manually threaded the nut a short way onto the thread, without using the electrics. I then reassembled it all, and bingo, all is well:) I can only assume that somehow the nut had jumped on the thread.

While we're on the subject, I have said this before, about the tilt motor, but will reiterate it. My tilt motor very occasionally gets a bit noisy, and won't go fully down, unless I pull downwards on the steering wheel while it's traveling down, although it will usually go right up, although a little noisy. I just operate the control button up and down a number of times, until it quietens, smooths out, and works properly. It then works fine for quite some months. These are totally different motors and gear boxes to the earlier series, so these comments wouldn't apply to them, but of course there is quite a lot in the forums about the early ones. So, that's it, my 2 cents worth. Hope it may be of use to someone. Cheers, Keith.

Thanks for the info, Mile_High_Flyer. I notice that the tilt motor in my LS430 is whisper quiet as compared to my 98 LS400.

There is a very interesting video on the a 94 LS tilt motor that Steve2006 made(post #3). -> http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65822&st=0&p=416138&hl=tilt&fromsearch=1entry416138

What I find surprising is that Toyota went through so many redesigns of the tilt/telescope system of the 98-00 LS400 in such a short period of time. Here in the U.S., there was a TSIB under which the tilt and telescope motors and related parts were replaced under warranty with the final version of the 98-00 system. And there was another TSIB here in the states where the flexible cable in the steering column of the 98-00 LS400 was replaced with a u-joint.

I can see why so many people have the "auto tilt away" feature turned off and just manually adjust their steering wheels when drivers change. If you have not seen it, attached is the one of the TSIB's I mentioned. I'm fortunate that my 2000 LS400 was built after the final redesign was implemented at the factory - I've never had a problem with it.

Tilt- Telescopic Steering Column TSIB.pdf

Jim, let me see if I can explain myself.... my 99, tilt & tele works perfect. my wifes 99 dont.

in her LS I can manually run the tele out with the button, and when turned off it retracts, but will not extend the next time unless you manually run it.... but the tilt will not move in any direction. NOTHING is automatic with key. It was down when I got it, and I manually threaded it up to a comfort level.

NOW, my question.. IF the T&T option has been turned off on this car, would the manual button still operate BOTH functions? I am trying to know if the tilt is actually bad or if IT was turned off.... can anyone shed any light???

I dont want to get in there and be working against the options on/off feature..

my direct email is billydpowell@hotmail.com any info appreciated (Jim, thanks for the PDF)file.

Hello ,

Excuse my bad english , i'am French LS400 enthousiast .

How can be desactivate the telescoping mechanism of steering wheel .

Congratulations for your interesting forum.

You are excused, my French would be much worse than your English.

We are refering to 1998-2000 model LS400's.

the selective options have to be activated by a dealer with special equipment.

CBES1.pdf

That is a VERY nice car Pierre! German car ... German racing silver! The 98-00 LS400 sold in Europe usually had a much higher level of equipment that those sold here in the U.S. Our cars have no headlight washers, no rear fog lights, no side turn signals, no heated rear seats and the few cars sold here with a navigation system had one with a small hard drive instead of a CD drive like in Europe. Even the optional telephone sold here was analog and cannot be used today like the GSM telephones of the European 98-00 LS400. About the only nice feature the U.S. got but Europe did not is that our radio antennas are imprinted on the rear window - we do not have an exterior antenna on the left rear fender.

Keeping with the "snow theme" here is a photo of my 2000 LS400 taken last Christmas when visiting family in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Based on its serial number, it looks like only 205 LS400's were made after it was assembled.

post-2157-0-54511800-1291557460_thumb.jp

WOW, great looking cars, Guy's....

I thought all european cars were right hand drive?

I love mine too, hope to get the tilt fixed soon.

It's only the Brits that drive on the left in Europe Billy,I think the Swedish also did but changed over many years ago.

All very nice, Pierre. What does the white button by the gear shift lever do? For the passenger ejection seat? :rolleyes:

I would rather have your radio system than the Nakamichi in my 00 LS400. I assume yours has RDS and Traffic which was never available in the U.S. on the LS400.

post-2157-0-27576400-1291568562_thumb.jp

Our interiors are a little different also.

The interior of my 2000 LS400 is the same as Billy's except for the front seat heaters, Nakamichi and the maple wood (instead of walnut) that was available on the U.S. Platinum Series and Canadian Millenium Edition 2000 LS400.

My ancient Nokia phone cradle is on a German Kuda leather phone console. After the first of the year, I will replace the Nokia system with a Bluetooth kit and mount a Bury System 9 phonebase on the Kuda console. The same snap-in charging cradle will work for both my wife's and my Blackberry.

post-2157-0-68427600-1291569832_thumb.jp

The white button ? i don't know ... disabled ...

The Nakamichi radio is perfect: RDS , Traffic info and nice sound ....

The sound from the Nakamichi is wonderful but none of the U.S. LS400 cars have RDS and Traffic.

Whatever you do Pierre, do NOT push that white button! :o :lol:

Just kidding. Very nice car and your leather interior looks immaculate.

Jim, what editing program did you use to insert the white arrow in that pic?

Wow. What a hijacked thread. :rolleyes:

Whatever you do Pierre, do NOT push that white button! :o :lol:

Just kidding. Very nice car and your leather interior looks immaculate.

Jim, what editing program did you use to insert the white arrow in that pic?

Wow. What a hijacked thread. :rolleyes:

No Pierre, push that white button when you are in a place where no one can be injured. Maybe it controls the fender mounted machine guns!

Actually, that is a great place to mount a switch or USB port -- I never thought about that but I will now.

Randy, I use SnagIt from TechSmith to capture screen images both at home and, much more importantly, where I work: http://www.techsmith.com/snagit/

If you look around you might find an older version of SnagIt that can be legally downloaded for free but the current version is an excellent bargain.

Who would hijack a thread? Moi? :ph34r: