Cold Start, Smell Of Petrol In Coupé?

Hi,

I have recently bought a used IS250 -09 run aprox 22700 km. This morning it was pretty cold, about -5 celcius.

When I started the engine a few seconds afterwards the coupé had a smell of petrol and a bit of gas?

What is this, to me it feels that something is really wrong here...

After driving for about 3 minutes the smell disapeared.

Please help, thank you.

When cold, the engine needs temporary more fuel to operate properly, so to speak. In ancient times, one would use a choke to add more fuel. Your catalytic converters also need some momentum to reach operating temperature, before they can burn any excessive fuel.

Under normal circumstances, the 'smell' dissapears when engine and cats are @ operating temp.

Although you seem to fit the profile, you cannot be too sure. I suggest you verify if this odor originates purely from your exhaust (otherwise, you might have a fuel leak somewhere).

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm, I think your referring to close/open loop operation which prioritizes the system for the sensors to come up. Did you have the heater fan on when you started the car? The smell may be coming from opening the air vents as the initial partially unburned ( the air that goes thru the first couple cranks without burning just before the engine actually starts.) Sometimes the wind can blow it right back at the car as it sucks it in the air intakes.