X-Ice Snow Tires On Is 350

My CPO IS350 came with set of Michelin Alpin PA2 "snow tires." Used them last winter but they were not so great vs Blizzak WS60 I have experience with. In fairness PA2's are "performance snow tires" not optimal for snow/ice. Does anyone have experience with Michelin X-ICE "studless snow tires" on IS350--are they night and day better than PA2 or just marginally better?

IMO, far better information is available in owners surveys and evaluations on http://www.tirerack.com/ than from anecdotal information from a few people on a car forum. Also, my opinion again, the term "performance snow tire" is an oxymoron. As much progress that has been made in snow tire design - and a lot of progress has been made - a performance snow tire is going to be more similar to an all season tire than a true winter tire.

The Michelin X-Ice Xi2 is a very highly rated winter tire. I might have bought a set this year if I hadn't absolutely loved the Bridgestone Blizzak WS50 winter tires I squeezed seven winters out of. So I bought a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 tires in July and put them and my snow wheels on my 2000 LS400 the week before Thanksgiving.

Based on the Tire Rack evaluations, my take is that the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 is slightly more biased towards dry road performance and the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 is more biased towards snow performance. The tread patterns of both look almost identical but the WS70 tread has slightly wider gaps.

I would expect that either tire would serve you well.

IMO, far better information is available in owners surveys and evaluations on http://www.tirerack.com/ than from anecdotal information from a few people on a car forum. Also, my opinion again, the term "performance snow tire" is an oxymoron. As much progress that has been made in snow tire design - and a lot of progress has been made - a performance snow tire is going to be more similar to an all season tire than a true winter tire.

The Michelin X-Ice Xi2 is a very highly rated winter tire. I might have bought a set this year if I hadn't absolutely loved the Bridgestone Blizzak WS50 winter tires I squeezed seven winters out of. So I bought a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 tires in July and put them and my snow wheels on my 2000 LS400 the week before Thanksgiving.

Based on the Tire Rack evaluations, my take is that the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 is slightly more biased towards dry road performance and the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 is more biased towards snow performance. The tread patterns of both look almost identical but the WS70 tread has slightly wider gaps.

To 1990LS400:

Just a quick question. You mentioned you put the snow tires on your snow wheels. I have Lexus E-Sport wheels on my 10' ES350. Can you suggest what would be a suitable wheel for snow tires?

Thanks,

Paul

To 1990LS400:

Just a quick question. You mentioned you put the snow tires on your snow wheels. I have Lexus E-Sport wheels on my 10' ES350. Can you suggest what would be a suitable wheel for snow tires?

Thanks,

Paul

Hey Paul,

I've got aftermarket Mille Miglia wheels I bought from Tire Rack in a snow tire package in 2003. They look great and are of high quality but I now realize a problem with buying aftermarket wheels -- models come and go and it can be impossible to find a replacement if one is ruined. I recommend finding a set of OEM Lexus wheels to use with your snow tires -- maybe check Craigslist for Des Moines or eBay. You might even find a set of "takeoff" wheels at the Lexus dealer -- that's what I did in 1990 when I bought my first LS.

Good luck,

Jim

To 1990LS400:

Thanks,

Paul

Hey Paul,

I've got aftermarket Mille Miglia wheels I bought from Tire Rack in a snow tire package in 2003. They look great and are of high quality but I now realize a problem with buying aftermarket wheels -- models come and go and it can be impossible to find a replacement if one is ruined. I recommend finding a set of OEM Lexus wheels to use with your snow tires -- maybe check Craigslist for Des Moines or eBay. You might even find a set of "takeoff" wheels at the Lexus dealer -- that's what I did in 1990 when I bought my first LS.

Good luck,

Jim

Thanks Jim. Just what I needed to know. We are having flurries here so I better get on the ball with this matter.

Have a good one!

Paul

• 1 month later...

I love my michelin x-ice tires, i have a set in 225/50/18 for my is350 and they are both great in the snow and great with no snow on the ground, it was downright scary driving the car on summer tires with snow on the ground, and I couldn't even get up a 10 degree incline to make it into my garage. With the x-ice I have no worries and the garage is easy to get into, even with ice and snow on the driveway.