2 Types Of Tranny Service And Diff Prices

tealboy

I just learned that my 02 awd rx300 which had a tranny service by lexus at 30k miles and then by a local mechanic at 60k may not have been a full service. My local guy, providing a bid for the 90k service said std tranny service is $120 but after looking it up, said the awd is more labor as two cross bars must be removed to drop the pan and the filter is $30. So, a full flush is $200. If I wanted a basic service in which the fluid is pumped out but the pan is not dropped and filter not changed, it would be $100 ish. Given the history w/ these cars, i will do the $200 service but thought I'd share in case others wanted to know the difference. Unfortunately, I do not know what was done on the first two changes, so it is possible i have the original filter but w/ 2 fresh fluid changes. It is my understanding the filter is part of the problem on these cars as it can get clogged up, restricting fluid flow. Best case, lexus put a new filter in at 30k and fluid changed at 60k but its possible i have the original filter w/ 85k miles right now. Still better to have changed the fluid but certainly better to include a new filter though I don't know how big of a deal this is.

First I would not get a flush,,,,we have found many have tranny problems afterwards as it disturbs sediment and pushes it through the valve body. Your mechanic is full of crap....sorry there are no bars on the AWD in the way. I have done this change myself 7 times. here is a post on Club Lexus which shows the entire procedure....I would dump that mechanic in a heartbeat...I dont trust people that lie to me....We suggest multiple fluid drain and fills to get the fluid prestine. Please read this post:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-first-generation/220061-photo-diy-rx300-awd-transmission-fluid-pan-filter-change.html

Also the filter is a wire mesh screen in the original transmission. The problem is not the filter but the design of the transmission. Lexus used a very weak design envolving planetary gears mounted in a aluminum carrier...as time goes by the aluminum wears and the gears float, destroying the gears. The fix was a steel carrier with an increase in gears from 4 to 6. The style of driving (city versus freeway) affects these components a great deal...I have seen the poorly designed assembly at a tranny shop locally. His replacement was much more robust. Unfortunately lexus will not tell anyone when the changes were made.

The tranny link was very helpful, thx for sharing. I do have one question, how important is it to replace the filter if it is nothing more than a screen, a metal one originally and now paper. Can't the orig metal screen be cleaned just like the magnets and pan?

Yes the original screen (metal) can be cleaned with a cleaner, but until you have it dropped you dont know if you now have metal or paper....Lexus started using paper a couple of years ago...It is real hard finding the metal screen filter.