Muting Audio System

SoCalRX300

Here is a link to a company that has interface harnesses for phone kits for your 02 RX with nav -- using one can simplify installation: http://www.quickconnectproducts.com/Find/find.php

Also attached is the wiring diagram for you 02 RX with nav - from the ARRC website which is available through many public libraries.

If you don't want to use an interface harness, I suggest you try to use the mute wire (labeled "TMUT") meant for the dealer installed Lexus phone system -- looks like that would be a "violet" color wire according to the wiring diagram.

Also attached is a diagram showing the location where the dealer installed telephone "computer" or ECU would have been installed - looks like under the floor on the right side of the trunk ... same as in my 00 LS400. You might pick up the mute wire there if you can't find it further forward in your RX - I remember that other RX owners have picked up the mute there and ran a mute wire forward under the carpet or door sill trim to connect with their phone kits. Once you find the mute wire, turn the radio on and test the mute wire by grounding it with an un-powered test light or similar test tool - the radio should mute when you ground it.

From the 1995 through 2000 model years, most Lexus models had a telephone mute wire under the center console but I doubt if any models had it after that.

All this might seem like a lot of work but connecting your phone kit's mute wire to the audio system mute is probably the most important part of a phone kit installation.

Let us know what you are installing and how it goes.

2002 RX300 nav audio system diagram.pdf

post-2157-0-88770500-1291172516_thumb.jp