Timing Belt Kit

norcalmike

Hi, new to the forum here. my wife has a 1999 RX300 125k miles. i am going to do the timing belt and waterpump and i found this complete kit on an auction site. i am VERY nervous about trusting this parts. anybody ever bought this kit or any aftermarket waterpump and belt?..thanks, mike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300332978490&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Hi, new to the forum here. my wife has a 1999 RX300 125k miles. i am going to do the timing belt and waterpump and i found this complete kit on an auction site. i am VERY nervous about trusting this parts. anybody ever bought this kit or any aftermarket waterpump and belt?..thanks, mike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300332978490&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

NCM- You do what you want with the info, but I have spent my life in automotive work, and have an appreciation for good work and good parts. They don't come any finer than what Toyota and Lexus build the cars with originally. I have even cut these parts apart with a die grinder and cut-off blade after removal (curious type) and found the OEM parts to be some of the finest parts I've ever seen. My suggestion is go with ONLY OEM parts (and sleep well at night). Here is a source that sells ONLY OEM parts at some of the best prices I've ever seen. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.m748&item=350324088008&viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid%3D5313213877727711886#ht_2324wt_941 With a 99.9 e-bay rating he must treat his customers right too! That is only about 15 mi. from where I live and about 3-4 from where our son lives. Spend the extra money for the VERY BEST OEM parts. And I can assure you they are ALL OEM. He sells different packages, so you can get whatever your needs are.

I've never had a problem with Toyota/Lexus OEM parts - they fit and work. One caveat - all sellers of OEM parts have asked for the VIN # of my vehicle. If the ebay seller does not, I'd be a little skeptical.

Tom

I've never had a problem with Toyota/Lexus OEM parts - they fit and work. One caveat - all sellers of OEM parts have asked for the VIN # of my vehicle. If the ebay seller does not, I'd be a little skeptical.

Tom

Tom- I have ordered OEM parts from independent parts suppliers such as the one I noted, both online and on e-bay and have never once been asked for a vin#. And have always received the right parts. Anyone who has worked on a T/L much at all knows the brands of parts that they use to build the car. I can assure you that ALL the parts that seller sells are OEM T/L parts. The W/P is made by Aisin and came in an Aisin box, just like it shows in the picture. It had the "Toyota" milled off because Aisin can sell the W/P with the Aisin still on it (which it had) but not with the Toyota without paying Toyota a royalty for use of their name and it being in a Toyota box. You will find the same timing belt with MBL, Mitsuboshi or Toyota on it. All the same belt but cheapest with MBL (not even identified as Mitsuboshi) on it, a little higher with "Mitsuboshi" on it and most expensive with "Toyota" on it because of the royalty to Toyota for using their name, but all the same belt made by Mitsuboshi. The parts in the site on e-bay that the OP posted are definitely not OEM.

Thanks CODE58.. yeah, i know the listing i originally posted arent OEM parts. i think TOM was referring to the second like that you posted.

i have decided to go with the OEM parts. id rather spend $100 extra and have piece of mind. we are talking about major engine parts, id rather be safe than sorry.

because i do all my own mechanical work, i would have no one to blame but myself if the parts fail. thanks again for the link. you proved to be a valuable poster to my question.

next issue: door switch sensor and blower fan issues.

Thanks, Mike

Mike- As you can see if you went to that site, he has different packages so you can get pretty much whatever you want, from simple to complete. Probably even more than the average person would want. As I've said, being a curious soul, I cut the parts apart to see what they looked like and they were the finest parts I've ever seen. W/P was absolutely like new in every respect (I have the pictures) at about 127k mi.

thanks Code58. i appriciate your input. im gonna pony up the $$ for the 8 piece kit. i already bought the timing belt tensioner, so im good there (i hope). i will be pulling it into the garage for a mojor once over. im doing the kit, pan gasket, input shaft on trans (leaks) plugs and trans fluid and filter. gonna be fun :wacko: . next, i get to do the timing chain, waterpump and plenum and intake gaskets on my 99 ram 1500. woohoo.

Ditto pretty much what everyone said about quality Toyota/Lexus parts. I technically totalled my RX 300 (2001) with 32,000 miles on it. Had it repaired and then at 114,000 miles had the timing belt/water pump done. When the mechanic replaced the water pump (which was working fine) he showed me how the water pump bracket was so bent from the accident that the bolts for the new water pump would not fit becasue it was twisted! Though it was bent, it worked fine and never leaked. So yes, go with the piece of mind with the OEM parts. I'm now approaching 122,000 miles now.

thanks Code58. i appriciate your input. im gonna pony up the $$ for the 8 piece kit. i already bought the timing belt tensioner, so im good there (i hope). i will be pulling it into the garage for a mojor once over. im doing the kit, pan gasket, input shaft on trans (leaks) plugs and trans fluid and filter. gonna be fun :wacko: . next, i get to do the timing chain, waterpump and plenum and intake gaskets on my 99 ram 1500. woohoo.

Yea Mike, I've changed the W/P twice on my DIL's '03 Durango (should be the same as your Ram 1500) and it NEEDED it both times because of leaking. Having cut the parts apart, I don't see how any of those T/L 3.0 W/P's EVER wear out. They are one fine peace of engineering and manuf.

• 4 months later...

Dude honestly, if you even need to ask, you shouldn't buy them parts. CODE58 has it right on the money about the quality of the parts. I did mine at 96K and found them to look virtually brand new. in fact, I had a smidgen of buyers remorse then read some guys are getting almost 200K w/o changing that...anyway, better to play it safe.