Service, What's Needed At 85,000 Miles On 300?

tealboy

My 2002 rx300 has 85k miles and I am looking for advice on what needs to be done at this point. Originally, my intent was to trade into a newer vehicle but with the economy soft, I've decided to keep the car at least one more yr but want to make sure I am keeping up w/ maintenance and reliability. So far, the car has been extremely dependable. Here is what i've done so far.

oil change every 5000 miles, along with tire rotate/balance/alignment

Tranny fluid change (AWD model) at 30k and 60k miles

New belt and brakes front and rear at 75k miles

new starting battery

Lexus pulled valve covers for sludge inspection, found to be clean

That's about it, the car has been great. Areas of concern are when to replace timing belt? Is it time for another tranny fluid change? The car lived in NY with salt roads/snow for 3 yrs so the under carriage and certain engine components show corrosion. I've never had a car w/ salt corrosion so this worries me. Last, tire kingdom told me one of the struts is leaking so all 4 need to be replaced at $900. Car rides fine but not sure if this needs to be done. Other???

after searching a bit more on the site, i think i developed a increased concern regarding the high probability of a tranny failure. Mine has been run gently and fluid changed at 30/60 and is due for 90k service but sounds like they routinely fail??? Or are we just hearing about the ones that fail vs. the thousands that don't?

My 2002 rx300 has 85k miles and I am looking for advice on what needs to be done at this point. Originally, my intent was to trade into a newer vehicle but with the economy soft, I've decided to keep the car at least one more yr but want to make sure I am keeping up w/ maintenance and reliability. So far, the car has been extremely dependable. Here is what i've done so far.

oil change every 5000 miles, along with tire rotate/balance/alignment

Tranny fluid change (AWD model) at 30k and 60k miles

New belt and brakes front and rear at 75k miles

new starting battery

Lexus pulled valve covers for sludge inspection, found to be clean

That's about it, the car has been great. Areas of concern are when to replace timing belt? Is it time for another tranny fluid change? The car lived in NY with salt roads/snow for 3 yrs so the under carriage and certain engine components show corrosion. I've never had a car w/ salt corrosion so this worries me. Last, tire kingdom told me one of the struts is leaking so all 4 need to be replaced at $900. Car rides fine but not sure if this needs to be done. Other???

I've got a 2001 with 121,000 on it. I too am paranoid about the transmission (knock on wood). I don't drive it hard and I change the transmission fluid about every 20,000 miles with synthetic (Amsoil). Changing the ATF is one of the easiest things to do on this car. Easier than an oil change & no filter. I did my timing belt/water pump at 114,385 miles and it looked pretty good though you shouldn't always go by visual. I've replaced the differential and transfer case with synthetic too so I'd recommend you do that also. I need to change the spark plugs now but I'll pay someone to do it because I understand the back three are difficult. I have an indepoendent mechanic for major mechanical and if absolutely necessary I'll go to the local Toyota dealer. I can't justify the money for a Lexus dealer. I'm in NJ and not really concerned about the salt/corrosion unless theres a major repair because of it. I do love the vehicle and hope to keep driving it for a while longer. At this point, I couldn't get an equal car for the cost of a new transmission so I'll keep it for awhile.