Car Drives Then Dies

DiLLuZioN

My 94 lexus es300 will shut off after 10 minutes of driving. during the small time when its about to die on me it will misfire and rpm's will drop... then it will catch itself and idle up a few more times then just die. after letting it sit for 5 minutes it will drive again for about 10 more minutes.. However as soon as the sun goes down the car will drive normal without any problems at all. no misfires no hesitation everything fine... no real temperature change from the time the sun is setting till its totally dark but as long as that sun is up the car shuts down.. I had the codes read and P1300 is the code thats getting thrown. changed the igniter.. checked on code and says misfire on bank or cylinder one so i replaced that coil as well.. same problem. any help would be appreciated to get rid of this ghost in my car :)

Hi,

I know your pain.

Not a lot of action at times here.

I had some confusion about the obdII plug, but it might be located behind the fuse panel just above your left knee. I also have that half moon plug hanging down below the steering column but never use it.

Strange problem, not occuring at night. Red herring?

p1300 is an igniter circuit problem, and I suspect that's where your trouble is. I've a 94 and there's an igniter on each plug, w/ flimsy wiring coming off of each feeding into the wiring harness and eventually leading to the computer. It's the computer that sends impulses to each igniter. Problem could be anywhere from computer to igniter and will require some electrical diagnosis. As the car runs, wires heat up and marginal competency becomes major. The rear igniters are next to impossible to get to without removing the intake which takes a few hours minimum if you like to wrench.

This is a link to a description of the igniter circuit malfunction (p1300) description:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/rogersb/DTCP1300-1.jpg

And this is a link to a diagnostic flow chart:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/rogersb/DTCP1300-2.jpg

These aren't mine, got them from another string on automotive forums for a camry. Hope they work.

LL

"Red herring" or perhaps the sun warming up the hood (or road), radiating heat to underlying engine-components.

In many cases P1300 can also point to less obvious causes, like a vacuum leak in the intake manifold, throttle body, bad EGR, valve problem, bad fuelpressure/gasoline, dirty fuelinjector.

- When did the problem start?

- when did you change your plugs?

- what kind of plugs (OEM, aftermarket)?

doesnt anyone reply to these posts and try to help out or what? 24 views and 0 replies...

Well, some people just can't help, other's are put off with these kind of remarks. I suggest some patience, see a dealer or what, or perhaps use the search function.

yea i know where the obd2 plug is thanks :) and yes it seems odd that during the day the car will give me this problem and not at night. its something ive never seen before.. will check what ya posted and get back to you... thanks for the help