Rear-View Mirror Lcd Compass... Convert To Temp?

Hey guys,

If i look closely at the interior rear-view mirror LCD (which normally displays a compass indicator) of my 2008 Rx400h i can see a tiny "degree" sign and F and C, which i believe represent Celsius and Fahrenheit.

otn7sl.jpg

Is there a way to get this LCD to display the outside temperature instead of the direction? It appears the LCD is ready for both...

I looked in the manual, but the only page on the rear-view mirror is on p300 and its for the compass... I also checked the back where it lists programmable features by the dealer and it didn't seem to be in there.

I would LOVE to have this display the outside temp as it gets annoying when passengers always ask what the exterior temp is as they cannot see the center gauge cluster display or feel like toggling through the various nav menus to see it.

Thanks for any input! BTW this is for my 2008 Rx400h. :cheers:

I noticed that before as well. I would imagine the ECU is neither programmed nor wired to show the temperature on the mirror display. We already have the temperature on the driver display and a few of the nav screen selections.

The mirror is actually a parts bin item manufactured by Gentex. They are used on all sorts of vehicles of all different makes and models, so they have different capabilities depending on the application they are being used for.

So theoretically its possible, although I would imagine you would need an all new wiring harness from Gentex.

Here's the manufacturer's website: http://www.gentex.com/automotive.html

Agree. I had an aftermarket Gentex installed in one of my previous vehicles - the wiring harness had a temp sensor at the end that I had to run through the firewall to the front bumper area. As mentioned, it's probably a univeral LCD that can display all sorts of stuff depending on what data it receives.

Just as an aside, I'm glad cduluk doesn't work at a nuclear weapons facility...constantly tinkering..lol

(this is not a dig by the way - I think it's great that you can tinker and come up with all your mods)

Ah, that's what i figured... I also found out that the display in the mirror isn't LCD or LED display, but something called a VFD (vacuum florescent display). Apparently it takes a LOT of voltage unlike an LCD or LED display. Definitely not something i want to tamper with.

I just recently finished a new project, which lead me to look at every LCD in the car... :rolleyes:

Can't tell you what it is yet (gotta get some pics and write up a tutorial) but it's gonna be a good one!! Guaranteed someone else on here is gonna have to do it- it's THAT cool. B)

Ah, that's what i figured... I also found out that the display in the mirror isn't LCD or LED display, but something called a VFD (vacuum florescent display). Apparently it takes a LOT of voltage unlike an LCD or LED display. Definitely not something i want to tamper with.

I just recently finished a new project, which lead me to look at every LCD in the car... :rolleyes:

Can't tell you what it is yet (gotta get some pics and write up a tutorial) but it's gonna be a good one!! Guaranteed someone else on here is gonna have to do it- it's THAT cool. B)

Robert Openhiemer reborn!!! - 00ps... I cut the wrong wire!

Paul

My guess is it's something to do with the clock (your latest mod)? That clock looks like something from a 1980's era vehicle...

Close! http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67549

Unfortunately the clock on the center console is a VFD (not LCD) and there's no way to convert it unfortunately :angry:

• 2 years later...

About a year or so ago, the rear view mirror on my 2006 GS300 started showing (parenthesis like) lines across the mirror. It has gotten worse and has gotten dots on it now and looking foggy. Why is the rear view mirror already deteriorating in 4+ years? I am the first owner, car always parked in the garage. We do not have extreme temperature here. It doesn't make sense.

• 2 weeks later...

About a year or so ago, the rear view mirror on my 2006 GS300 started showing (parenthesis like) lines across the mirror. It has gotten worse and has gotten dots on it now and looking foggy. Why is the rear view mirror already deteriorating in 4+ years? I am the first owner, car always parked in the garage. We do not have extreme temperature here. It doesn't make sense.

You've got me stumped. I've noticed that mine will "flicker" every once in a while, though. If i wiggle the wire plug coming out of the mirror the shaking stops. Maybe give that a try?