Maintaining A Black Finish

What's the best way to maintain the black finish on my new IS350? I've been doing a little research and found some articles about clearcoat finishes. They claim that clearcoats do not need any wax. No wax? I don't know about that. Then there is something called an "acrylic paint conditioner" that is supposed to be used instead of wax. Another site claims "polymers" are the way to go. Geez! When did waxing become so technical and complicated? In the old days I used to put on 3 coats of Meguiers and be done with it. Help!

Thanks.

A couple of things about black cars, and Lexus black in particular. One, avoid the automatic car washes at all costs, as they will scratch the heck out of the paint. Two, don't ever let the dealer wash your car either (ask me how I know) :). Three, if you haven't already, I'd recommend getting a clear-bra put on the front as the paint is very soft and chips very easily.

As for maintaining the finish, I just used Meguiers Wax every couple of weeks, but I'm sure there are other more qualified people who can answer that question.

I love black cars, but never again.

Best of luck with the new car!

Ditto on all the above. Especially the Black Color. I have a Black Shapphire Pearl (blue/black) and I consider myself lucky it's not black and I am happy I put the clear bra on day one. All Lexus paint is soft and I hear that Black is the worst to maintain. The worse bunch of scratches I got on the car was on a hand wash at the dealer! If you must go to a car wash - must be touch free. Don't let anyone touch your car. A regular brush car wash on a dirty black lexus will destroy the finish.

Contact SW03ES for expert information re: your question. Also, at the top of the page at the beginning of the forums is a section on detailing and maintaining your Lexus finish. I too have a Black Saphire and love it, but it is no easy task to keep it shining.

Paul