Check Engine And Vsc Trac/vsc Off Light On

Noname_LC

I am noticing this problem since yesterday. I dont at the moment what is wrong with the vehicle at the moment. Please help

The check engine light came on and at the same time the engine was shaking a little. So she decided to park the car at home and felt something needed to be done. My question is when I started the engine, not only was the check engine light on, but both the VSC Trac light and VSC Off light came on. I noticed the engine was shaking also. Can anyone suggest what might be causing this problem? The check engine light is blinking while the other two stays on.

Can I drive safely on a long trip (around 1000 miles round trip) while this vehicle have this issue?

A

When the CEL trips, VCS is disabled for safety reasons and your car runs in 'limp' mode now.

Cause could be between a simple loose gas cap or serious engine trouble. Anyway, the CEL most likely stored some faultcodes, so it's good to see a shop or dealer for a read-out.

In terms of safety and long roadtrips (besides possible further damage to the engine), see a shop/dealer first.

Thanks for the reply

I took it to a mechanic and he read the code out from the engine

These are the code we read

1) 302 misfiring

2) 308 misfiring

3) 300 random misfiring.

The mechanic said that two of the cylinders are misfiring. He said that he need to further diagnose the problem to locate the source of the problem which can either be spark plugs, the coil, or the injector. The car vibrates because only 6 cylinders are operational. (but they still have to do the diagnose).

My question at the moment is that, should i have it fixed by this indepemdent mechanic(who is going to use the after market component or just take to to lexus dealer who are charging 165$ just for reading the code.

Any suggestion, or do you know any good estimate for this fix so that I cna bear in find that i wont be paying more than I should

\Many Thanks

Do you recommend taking it to peps boys for fix?

Bye

DO NOT take it to "Pep Boys" or any other discount chain for this type of problem. Personal opinion, but I don't feel these places have the expertise to give you a competent result.

A good independent mechanic with a good, verified reputation can do a fine job. Your dealer will also give you good service. Get an estimate from both and check their warranty policies.

IntakerGS is more knowledgeable than I, and can guide you better with the technical matters.

Paul

It is good to read your suggestions as I was about to get a mobile mechanic from craigslist to help fix the problem. (though he claimed that he know these issues well). I think the diagnose is not a complicated issue, it is the parts I am concerned about. Is it good to replace the broken parts with after marke

Just for comparison. sparkplugs (iridium), lexus dealer (20 each), aftermarket 7

injector coil dealer 160, aftermarket from peps boys 79

Which one will you recoomend or is there any brand which I can use safely (besides lexus dealership provided parts

THanks

I think the diagnose is not a complicated issue, it is the parts I am concerned about.

I disagree. You should be more concerned about a correct diagnose and especially who's performing it, just like Paul advised. It's all about minimizing risks and costs. Comparing parts at this stage seems a bit premature.

Although it could come down to relative simple parts like plugs, wiring, coils etc, multiple misfiring can also be caused by less obvious reasons. Therefore, you don't want someone experimenting with your car.

Although I can't say that Peps Boys are not professional, I feel it's important that a lexus experienced and qualified mechanic performs the diagnostics. If you consider aftermarket parts for the ignition/combustion system, make sure you know what your doing in terms of manufacturer specs, otherwise go stock (or feel lucky).

• 3 weeks later...

The coils on mine started going out one at a time...got so frustrated I bought a complete new set and now one of them has gone out. Denso junk. Tried Auto Zone brand and they don't last either. But they are only $65 vs $95 from the Stealer. On going issue it seems?

One of the injection coil was burnt. I had it replaced, along with the spark plugs (though not needed but I felt it was about the time I should). It cost me $280 for everything.

Thanks

• 3 years later...

'02 ES300 - My car's VSC and TRAC OFF lights came on when my bank 1, sensor 1 failed. I had the sensor replaced, cleared the codes and drove it for about 20 miles. The check engine light is off but the other two are not. I even disconnected the battery, cleaned the cables and no change. There are no new codes popping up so I'm a bit confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.