Power Steering Pump- Replace?

prix

Last summer (August I think), the car started making a loud groaning sound. The sound became louder anytime I made turns. I immediately drove the mile or so back home and called dealer and was told it was likely a PS pump leak and that I was low on power steering fluid. Unfortunately, I wasn't told it was necessary to get the car in ASAP, so waited a few days before taking it in. Mechanic said a pressure hose was leaking adn that the seals in the pump might have dried out or been loosened because I let it sit for awhile (couple of days)...i.e., that if the seals were without fluid for very long, even a day, that could damage the pump. They replaced the hose, which put an end to the PS leak. The groaning sound is still there, but very subtle. Some days it's louder than others. The mechanic said it was likely 'cosmetic'. but that I should keep an eye on it. If it becomes loud, bring it in, etc. Question: Shouldn't the first person have told me that it was necessary to get the car filled up with fluid right away and/or bring the car in? I actually drove it (groaning) a few miles to get power steering fluid, plus it sat for two days before going to the store to get fluid (I was dreading the repair expense). Should I replace the power steering pump based on having this sound going on under the hood? The car runs fine and as far as I can tell, there is no leaking ongoing (I've been checking).

The person should have told you to replace the pump. I drove my car with a PS issue for a few months. I just keep filling the cannister up. Here is something you should be aware off. Since the PS pump is above the alternator, it is important to replace the power steering pump ASAP, otherwise you'll need to replace the alternator. I suggest you start looking for a replacement unit. Pepboys sells a rebuilt version for a $100-200. I can also get one kind of cheap from my source.

Dexron III is the pwer steering fluid

• 4 years later...
The person should have told you to replace the pump. I drove my car with a PS issue for a few months. I just keep filling the cannister up. Here is something you should be aware off. Since the PS pump is above the alternator, it is important to replace the power steering pump ASAP, otherwise you'll need to replace the alternator. I suggest you start looking for a replacement unit. Pepboys sells a rebuilt version for a $100-200. I can also get one kind of cheap from my source.

Dexron III is the pwer steering fluid

Does anyone know how difficult it is to rplace the power steering pump in a 1996 LS400? Mine has been leaking and moaning at low speeds for the past month and Lexus wants $1200 to do the work.

i had this very issue come up and bought mine from pepboys, they had to put in 3 pumps before getting a good one, what u also need to know is the pump will leak onto the alternator and ruin it as well, i replaced all my components, rack and pinion, hoses and pump as well as the valve on the pump....its all good now

i had this very issue come up and bought mine from pepboys, they had to put in 3 pumps before getting a good one, what u also need to know is the pump will leak onto the alternator and ruin it as well, i replaced all my components, rack and pinion, hoses and pump as well as the valve on the pump....its all good now

Thanks for your comments. As it turned out the Lexus Dealership quoted me $3400 to replace the power steering pump and the rack. I told them to just do the lube and oil and give me the car back. Apparently they had already begun to repair the car when I called back to cancel the work, because it took them two more days to return the car to me. (They may have taken the old pump out and then had to re-install it.) Now it is much worse and really moans when turning. I must get it repaired asap. The pump and the rack amount to about $650 at local Pep Boys or Kragen. I can have a friend who does a lot of DIY on his cars do the work in my garage for about $400 in labor or I can take it to pep boys or a local independent shop.