Timing Belt Change At 135,000

averona

When I bought my 95 LS with 156,000. Knowing what we know about timing belts, it is odd that it was changed at 135,000. In those days the car was dealer maintained. They also changed cam shaft seals on the same visit.

Anyone know why they wouldn't have waited to 180,000 or could it have been the first timing belt change 45,000 miles late?

When I bought my 95 LS with 156,000. Knowing what we know about timing belts, it is odd that it was changed at 135,000. In those days the car was dealer maintained. They also changed cam shaft seals on the same visit.

Anyone know why they wouldn't have waited to 180,000 or could it have been the first timing belt change 45,000 miles late?

Well if the 135k mile change was at dealer they would likely have records of whether the 90k mile one was done or not. My guess is maybe they stretched the timing and ran the original out to 135k. The other theory could be they did do 90k but the cam shaft seals started to leak so they had to go in a change those and once you're doing that you might as well put on a new timing belt.

Either way you're good until 225k miles.... unless you're getting close to that why worry?

One possibility is that they did a T-belt job at 90k, but neglected to change those seals. Then when they started to leak, they replaced the seals and put in a new belt while they were in there.

On my 91, the T-belt was done (dealer) at 90k, but with no new water pump at the time. The water pump went out at 122k, so it got a whole new T-belt job at that time (with new pulleys again, etc.). I bought the car at ~160k from my father in law (the original owner), and he would always just do what the dealer said needed to be done, so it was the dealer's oversight on not replacing the WP at 90k.

So, especially if the service record says they replaced the T-belt, cam seals, and nothing else, I think the above scenario is most likely.

EDIT - I just noticed - just like curiousB said. +1 on that.