Off My Rocker? I Think So...

ArmyofOne

Wild hair flew up my 4th point of contact yesterday. What with the long distance trip across the northern half of the united states, a dwindling warranty and (somewhat) questionable reliability...My wife and I changed everything...again:

Can you guess what it is?

100_0426_Medium_.JPG

Here's a bigger hint:

100_0418_Medium_.JPG

Its a 2009 Ram 1500 SLT Quad-Cab 4x4...with flex fuel package:

100_0416_Medium_.JPG

100_0419_Medium_.JPG

100_0420_Medium_.JPG

Pardon the dirt, its been raining for about 6 days solid now.

100_0421_Medium_.JPG

We have been looking at a truck for about a year now. When we started looking, we quickly realized that Fuel Economy goes out the window...you really cant even consider it. If someone is to the point in their lives where they have to worry about affording gas, they probably shouldnt be looking at a truck. Even so, all things considered I dont think we did too bad, $21,000 OTD, gave me $15k on trade for the civic, which was EXTREMELY generous, so my financed amount is $6k. But GAS...OMG talk about a pig. Avg so far is 14mpg...a far cry from 30. But...we needed a truck, and 4wd for this long trip in winter. We didnt need a V8, but the truck was there, and the deal was right. All I have to say is, Dodge has come a LONG way in a short time.

Nicely done Josh! Welcome to the world of V8 cost, especially in the 4x4 variant. Cleaning the intake and new plugs helps A LOT! Considering most of Your miles will be under the 1500 rpm range, Clean Breathing is key to the mpgs. The 4runner is a V8, and hits the pocket as well. However, given the disappearing act of the V8 in general, you'll find the value return of your truck later down the road. We paid $19K for the 4Runner in 07' with 53k miles. 3+ years and 35K miles later, well, do a search for 05' V8 4Runners SR5's with 90k miles to see the prices....not much depreciation...

Well Rams depreciate like crazy (dodges in general actually), I expected it, and Thats why I have $20,000 positive equity right now. The v8 isnt killing me as bad as I was thinking it would. She had some miles on her when we bought her (43000), thats why we got it so cheap, well that and the fact that it was in an accident. We used both of those as bargaining tools. I checked to make sure all repairs were done properly, and the truck drives quite well, but some of the paintwork needs tending to, I am going to fix that though. For what I paid and the deal I got, I have no qualms.

So all in all, its not too bad. avg's 15mpg city, havent done much hwy yet. I fill up at 1/4 tank and it costs about $55. so I really cannot complain. 1/4 tank lasts almost a week.

When you say a fill up runs $55., how much do you have to pay a gal. where you live? Here in Des Moiines, it's at $2.79.

Paul

So all in all, its not too bad. avg's 15mpg city, havent done much hwy yet. I fill up at 1/4 tank and it costs about $55. so I really cannot complain. 1/4 tank lasts almost a week.

When you say a fill up runs $55., how much do you have to pay a gal. where you live? Here in Des Moiines, it's at $2.79.

Paul

well at that point it was $2.90, now its at $3.23. It has jumped 60 cents in 2 weeks. the day I bought the truck, it was $2.72. yikes. These are all regular prices BTW. From 1/4 tank today would push $60-$65.

Paul

well at that point it was $2.90, now its at $3.23. It has jumped 60 cents in 2 weeks. the day I bought the truck, it was $2.72. yikes. These are all regular prices BTW. From 1/4 tank today would push $60-$65.

That is pretty incredible! We went from the low $2.50's to the present $2.79 in about the same amount of time. However, no one seems to know why. Does any one have the scoop?

Paul

lookin at $3.29 for 87 this morning...burn.

Here in Iowa we get 89 octane for the current price of the above mentioned $2.79. Premium is 91 octane and runs in the low $3.20's. The state subsidizes the 89 with 10% ethanol to support the farmers and ethanol industries. Thats also why it's so cheap. 89 octane gas is always the cheapest gas at the pump. 87 runs about $2.97.