Removing Cup Holders

rx350gumnut

HI all from Sydney; I've just bought a 2007 RX 350 and am loving it dearly. I would like to remove the front cup holders as that part of the console would be more useful to me as a general storage space. The cup holder that slides out from the right air vent is sufficient for cup holding purposes for me. Can anyone tell me the trick in getting it out? or does it involve major surgery? cheers

Well, you can't really "take it out" of the console, as it's the whole assembly that contains the springs and mechanisms that work the doors and what not.

I've taken the center console apart (had to remove the wood for re-finishing) and i can tell you, that it's a pain in the BUTT to do anything in there. It's crowded and one false move can result in springs flying off and everything becoming broken. And i'm pretty sure you can't remove the cupholder area without leaving a giant ugly hole...

You can pull out the "divider" that separates the two cupholders, but that's about it. :wacko:

If you want, you can purchase a used console to experiment with first. But i wouldn't suggest tampering with the one in your car without having a spare. :whistles:

What does it look like now?

Unexpectedly, there is a larger molding with two cup-holding shapes. While the shape of the space seems to be for over-sized cup holders, it is also much wider and more flexible/useful by allowing a wallet, mobile phone and other bits and pieces to be stored and easily accessed.

What does it look like now?

Unexpectedly, there is a larger molding with two cup-holding shapes. While the shape of the space seems to be for over-sized cup holders, it is also much wider and more flexible/useful by allowing a wallet, mobile phone and other bits and pieces to be stored and easily accessed.

Can you post a pic?

OHH! Our Rx's don't look like that, they're a bit different. There must be two designs for Rx's in the US and Australia? :huh:

Here's mine:

t014pt.jpg

2ij2rh1.jpg

osr6ts.jpg

Wouldn't it be great if we had access to all the configurations and all the accessories offered all around the world. Would make for a heck of a car.

Paul

On taking a closer look myself, the ones in your image look exactly the same EXCEPT for the small dividing structure between the cups. I expect that what is underneath is the same as shown in the image I posted. So if anyone else wants a more roomy front bay, try having the cupholding insert removed. It will still serve the same purpose but provide more options for other things you carry every day in your car.

Nope, they're completely different units.

Take a close look at the insert piece you removed. The front-top section is fixed whereas ours is hinged and can be flipped up.

Our Rx's don't have the insert part you removed. The way your console is now (with that part removed) is exactly what we have, only we have that front piece that can be flipped up or pulled down.

It's entirely different...

35hec0i.jpg

9i8uf8.jpg