Driver Window Opens

4howard

1995 Lexus LS400: When I turn the key in the driver door lock and unlock the door, the window rolls down about three seconds later. Has anyone out there had this problem, and if so, do you know the fix?

Seems to me that it might be a "feature". Are you by chance, turning the key twice (or more)? Some models were programmable to do special tricks when you turned the key several times.

Jim, 1990LS400 is an expert on dredging up model features. Maybe he will chime in.

Is it doing it automatically, or are you holding the key? The windows should roll down if you hold the key to the unlocked position, that's a pretty common feature on a lot of luxury cars, Jaguar began doing it in the early '90s. If yours just does it without triggering, the key cylinder may be sticking in the unlocked position.

On my 95, turn the key once to unlock the drivers door, turn it a second time and the other doors unlock. As mentioned, if you turn and hold, the driver's window will go down. There is an ECU (computer) in each of the doors, maybe the driver's one is going bad.

1995 Lexus LS400: When I turn the key in the driver door lock and unlock the door, the window rolls down about three seconds later. Has anyone out there had this problem, and if so, do you know the fix?

Seems to me that it might be a "feature". Are you by chance, turning the key twice (or more)? Some models were programmable to do special tricks when you turned the key several times.

Jim, 1990LS400 is an expert on dredging up model features. Maybe he will chime in.

Thanks for the response, I am familiar with the window roll down feature. In fact this car was purchased new by my Dad in 1995, and I remember thinking how cool it was to be able to roll down the window with the key. But this is rolling down after one turn to the right and release. Today it rolled down at some point I cannot identify, I came back to the car and found the window open.

As a test I turned the key once to unlock the door, quickly opened the door with my other hand, and then quickly locked the door with the door open. The window did not roll down.

Anybody out there have a clue?

I believe what we are collectively trying to say is that the ECU is being fooled into thinking you are holding the key (when you really are not). It is probably a switch issue (sticking or bouncing contacts) or chafed wire in the door. I think you will have to remove the panel to do some further investigation. You may try cleaning or replacing the door switch.

I believe what we are collectively trying to say is that the ECU is being fooled into thinking you are holding the key (when you really are not). It is probably a switch issue (sticking or bouncing contacts) or chafed wire in the door. I think you will have to remove the panel to do some further investigation. You may try cleaning or replacing the door switch.

Sounds like a plan. Was hoping not to have to take off the door panel. Thanks.

I think it is not a switch issue. I opened the lock on the passenger side door, which when turned unlocks all four doors, and the driver's side window rolled down. Now what?

Nope not it.