See If A Car Has Truly Driven That Little

fast lane

Hi,

I am planning to buy a used IS250 2009. The interior is great, just the drivers seat

that is a bit dirty. Does the lexuses easily get dirty? These are the ventilated gray leather seats.

Now to my question. Can you actually examine the car to get a reasonable milage?

If its has been rolled back, is there any way to have it checked at Lexus, perhaps with some

kind of instruments for the engine? Breaks etc etc?

This is in europe were there aren't any laws against roll back the milage, which is really bad.

Thank you

I have purchased only one used car (my current 2000 LS400 in 2003) in the past 30+ years. Before I purchased it, I checked its maintenance manual log to verify that required maintenance had been performed at the appropriate mileages and on dates that seemed to correlate with the car's age. The maintenance log had the Lexus dealer's stamp on each entry.

I had no reason to question the accuracy of the maintenance manual or the honesty of the independent dealer/broker who sold the car to me. Still, since I purchased the car late on a Friday afternoon on the way to a football game 300 miles away and did not have time to check with the Lexus dealer, I stopped by the Lexus dealer on the next Monday to verify that the the dealer's computerized records matched the maintenance manual. Everything matched and I have since driven the car 92,000 miles.

If there is no maintenance log and you can not verify the odometer reading with Lexus, ask for maintenance receipts that show dates and odometer readings.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am planning to buy a used IS250 2009. The interior is great, just the drivers seat

that is a bit dirty. Does the lexuses easily get dirty? These are the ventilated gray leather seats.

Now to my question. Can you actually examine the car to get a reasonable milage?

If its has been rolled back, is there any way to have it checked at Lexus, perhaps with some

kind of instruments for the engine? Breaks etc etc?

This is in europe were there aren't any laws against roll back the milage, which is really bad.

Thank you

You failed to mention how many miles it has on it. Does it SEEM reasonable for it's age?

Lexus leather is a fairly high grade, but it needs care and cleaning periodically to keep it free from soil and to keep it supple. See the detail section of this board.

The plural of Lexus is "Lexi".

Paul