Replacing The Windshield With Aftermarket Vs Original Schield

Noname_LC

Hello Everyone,

My vehicle windscreen recently developed a small crack which I had it repaired by a glass company(Safelite) through my insurance company. It was fine until a few days ago when it started to appear again (from the same spot). The glass company suggested that it needs to be replaced since they can't work on the spot which was fixed before. The issue is that the replacement will be an after market rather than an original part. I need your opinion to whether install the aftermarket windshield or pay for original shield (I dont know at the point whether I have to buy it from my pocket or will have to pay some portion of the suggested price).

Also can you suggest some good places to look at to buying either oem orignal parts or aftermarket good brand shield

Thank You

A

There are three types of glass. Dealer-, OEM- and aftermarket glass. OEM glass meets or exeeds specifications by dealer, but is not necessarily provided by the same distributor.

If you consider aftermarket glass, make sure it lives up to the same specs (or better), like above, or you may end up with thinner or less hardened glas, which is more prone to damage, windnoise or other issues.

Does Pilkington or PPG make OEM windshields, and if not, where do I look for OEM windshield. I had windshield replaced on my nissan a year ago, I dont know the brand but it has waviness effect and it I feel more road noise. I wish I have something close to my current windshield on my lx470. I'll probably have it replaced by safelite since they fixed the crack initially which has grown.

A

I used the dealer contractor for windshields and he said the PPG was the OEM. It looks equivalent, just does not have "Lexus" on it. It is important to have someone familiar with replacing windshield on the LX. They will need to order the rails from the dealer.

• 1 month later...