Coolant Filler Hold 99Ls

Micah.Berry

The lexls website is for a gen 1 LS400 which is very different from a 98-00 LS. The 98-00 LS engine/cooling system is probably more similar to the 01-03 LS430 than to the gen 1 LS400.

Since the 98-00 LS water inlet housing doesn't have a filler hole, maybe you could remove the inlet housing and thermostat and fill it that way. Maybe someone (Billy?) who has actually done this on a 98-00 LS400 will tell you.

EDIT! In the radiator replacement instructions of my 00 LS400 repair manual, simply says something like "add coolant" after installing the radiator and all hoses. I'm guessing that means to just add the coolant as you would normally.

Found it!!

It's under the plastic cover shroud. To remove it, I needed a 10 mm Allen wrench. It is at the top of the engine, above the thermostat.

Micah

yep... be sure and run it long enough for the stat to open so you can completely fill it, or you will be asking us why your heater blows cold air in a couple of months (smile)

I just had my radiator out yesterday, put my hand in the wrong place and popped the inlet nipple off of it and had to get it fixed... sometimes I am so clumsy.... (not smiling)

Thanks, 1990LS and Billy. I ran it up to operatig temperature, adding additional amounts during that time as fluid was drawn in. After I let it cool, I needed to add additional fluid, which I did. I'm going to keep a close eye on it over the next several days.

Next little project is the tranny flush and the tranny mount. My drive belt looks to be in excellent shape, so I'm going to let it be for now.

The lexls website is for a gen 1 LS400 which is very different from a 98-00 LS. The 98-00 LS engine/cooling system is probably more similar to the 01-03 LS430 than to the gen 1 LS400.

Just wanted to point out that the 01-03 is NOT similar to the 98-00 when it comes to coolant filling. The 01-03 actually have a radiator cap in the radiator (like the "old" days). So it is super easy to fill the system on the 01-03.

The 98-00 have a 10mm Allen plug in the top-front of the intake manifold. You will probably need to buy a 10mm Allen key socket as it is pretty big and most do not (at least I did not) have this size Allen socket in the *standard* toolkit.

Yep. I had to make a quick run to the auto parts store for a 10 mm allen wrench. Of course, I had to buy the set, because the one that I needed wasn't sold individually. :rolleyes:

Anyway, tonight's project is to change the transmission fluid and mount.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Micah