Subwoofer Options For 2010 With Standard Audio?

SW03ES

Hey all,

I've come to the conclusion that I want to upgrade the stock subwoofer in the 350's audio system. The system overall is okay, it just doesn't have any depth and I'm thinking a new sub would help some.

I don't want to spend a lot, and I don't want to do any serious modifications to the system, not really too excited about putting an incasement in the trunk, I'd really just like to take the stock sub out and put a new one right there in its place, and still be able to adjust bass controls through the audio system.

Any thoughts?

Hey all,

I've come to the conclusion that I want to upgrade the stock subwoofer in the 350's audio system. The system overall is okay, it just doesn't have any depth and I'm thinking a new sub would help some.

I don't want to spend a lot, and I don't want to do any serious modifications to the system, not really too excited about putting an incasement in the trunk, I'd really just like to take the stock sub out and put a new one right there in its place, and still be able to adjust bass controls through the audio system.

Any thoughts?

Hope I'm not being redundant, but I think I've talked about this before and what your wanting is exactly what I wanted in my system. I like the system overall, but it needed some low end filling out and some depth to the bass notes. I chose to leave the factory sub in place for greater fill in at pre set crossover levels as determined at the factory. These are probably frequencies around 5,000-8,000 and below(Not an expert). I then installed a separate 8" sub in a small enclosure,less than a foot square, driven by a 200 watt Alpine amp with crossover to let this separate sub handle all frequencies below what the sub in the rear deck is driving.

The result has been outstanding. I have the system equalizer set with the treble at full, the mid range a 1+, and the bass at 2+. I have a hearing loss at the very high end, hence the upper limit treble setting. With these settings bass is strong but not thumpy. It is smooth and you can feel the very lowest bass note on a acoustic bass or a rock bass or hip-hop electronic,synthesized bass. You can push the bass up to 5+ and still not get any rattle, distortion, or thump at any volume. I typically listen at 30 to 45 volume level. For comparison, I listen to rock, jazz, NPR, some classical but mostly rock of all genres.

I would recommend installing a small separate sub. If not, drive the replacement sub you install with a separate amp if you can match the impedance and crossover network.

Hope this helps.

Paul

If you are trying to accomplish simply more bass I think Paul is right on. Find a small box to put in the trunk...or something else to consider is a bass tube! They are great will give you a nice deep bass, but not over bearing.

Take a look at these... http://www.bazooka.com/products/mobile/Amplified-Bass-Tubes-Subwoofers-C6

I had one of these in my Jeep Wrangler because of lack of space and they work great and take up little to now space...they are also easy to hook up and are all in one amp and speakers are in the tube.

Hell now you got me thinking about getting one... :whistles: I have the ML...and I am pretty happy with the way it sounds!

If the enclosure is really only a foot square thats not a big deal, I just really don't want a big honkin enclosure in the trunk.

I think I'll swing by the place I had the Sirius radio installed in the '03 and see what they think...

If the enclosure is really only a foot square thats not a big deal, I just really don't want a big honkin enclosure in the trunk.

I think I'll swing by the place I had the Sirius radio installed in the '03 and see what they think...

The key is to stay with a 6 to 8 inch woofer and not go to what the kids use like a 10 or 12/15 inch molar rattler. The small size with a well matched crossover and amp is more than enough and the enclosure size is unobtrusive.

Paul

Come on when I was younger I had a 15" and two 12" in a built in box in the back of a 5.0 gt mustang now that was an awesome system! SW you don't need the trunk go ahead and hook it up. :) lol

I guess I am getting "old" the last 4 cars that I have had have had the stock systems and I have been happy with them. Given the gx has the ML in it. I would seriously consider the bass tubes that I suggested in the post above. It is unbelievable the amount of bass that they produce. And the main thing is they take up just about no space. Like I said my jeep wrangler didn't have much space in the back so I stuck one of these tubes in there with a 8" and wow I couldn't believe it. And that was after a 15 and 2 12's blasting in my mustang.

Now I just don't even care. Most of the time I am in my GX I am on th F-n phone anyway. So "if" I get to listen to any tunes I am happy. :)

Come on when I was younger I had a 15" and two 12" in a built in box in the back of a 5.0 gt mustang now that was an awesome system! SW you don't need the trunk go ahead and hook it up. :) lol

I guess I am getting "old" the last 4 cars that I have had have had the stock systems and I have been happy with them. Given the gx has the ML in it. I would seriously consider the bass tubes that I suggested in the post above. It is unbelievable the amount of bass that they produce. And the main thing is they take up just about no space. Like I said my jeep wrangler didn't have much space in the back so I stuck one of these tubes in there with a 8" and wow I couldn't believe it. And that was after a 15 and 2 12's blasting in my mustang.

Now I just don't even care. Most of the time I am in my GX I am on th F-n phone anyway. So "if" I get to listen to any tunes I am happy. :)

LOL. Man, you are so right about being perfectly happy in my "geezer" days with the stock system. Like you, I used to re-configure every car I had to try and get the most juice I could out of the sound system. Actually, I think some of it is the improved quality of the factory equipment installed these days and the fact that manuafacturers are finally paying attention to the market.

I agree with you re: the Bazooka tube. Really a great product and so compact with quite a punch. It won't vibrate your tonsils, but that ride home after a long day will be really nice.

Paul