I Want To Cry!

jbatast

Hello!

I realy want to cry> Ispend months researching the right springs and struts combo. I spent five hundred dollars on new springs (Eibach 1" and stock struts) after months of savings. I research the mechanic and on February 14th (my Valentine day massacre) we installed the parts.

NOW I WANT TO CRY! Why?

1.) The right rear strut is defective. It makes an odd vibration when it is compressed...almost like there is a pepple in the strut cahmber.

2.) The right rear strut near the strut mount makea a God awful noise when I hit a bump in the road. NOTE - When we assemble the spring/strut combination before installation...I notice that the there was very little spring compression....that is you could wiggle the spring....the mechaic said not to wotty about since the weight of the care will load it down.

3.) The left rear makes a little noise whne it hit a big bumpt...again like the spring is rattaling around in there.

4.) The mechanic said don't worry that the struts are making contact with the strut bumper...that is why its there. I am worried....

PLEASE help.. I am crushed by this......I will say the front is great....good compression and all.....the back is problem. Further, the handling is awseome. Real good....no dip at all when turining.

I NEED ADVICE --- And do not tell me to stop crying......

You poor thing. Hang in there, someone on this board will eventually help you. If not, repost! Unfortunately, I don't know diddly about cars, as am just starting out learning about them myself, so can't help yourespond. Here's a couple of 'hugs' though..]] Be well(er).

Hello!

I realy want to cry> Ispend months researching the right springs and struts combo. I spent five hundred dollars on new springs (Eibach 1" and stock struts) after months of savings. I research the mechanic and on February 14th (my Valentine day massacre) we installed the parts.

NOW I WANT TO CRY! Why?

1.) The right rear strut is defective. It makes an odd vibration when it is compressed...almost like there is a pepple in the strut cahmber.

2.) The right rear strut near the strut mount makea a God awful noise when I hit a bump in the road. NOTE - When we assemble the spring/strut combination before installation...I notice that the there was very little spring compression....that is you could wiggle the spring....the mechaic said not to wotty about since the weight of the care will load it down.

3.) The left rear makes a little noise whne it hit a big bumpt...again like the spring is rattaling around in there.

4.) The mechanic said don't worry that the struts are making contact with the strut bumper...that is why its there. I am worried....

PLEASE help.. I am crushed by this......I will say the front is great....good compression and all.....the back is problem. Further, the handling is awseome. Real good....no dip at all when turining.

I NEED ADVICE --- And do not tell me to stop crying......

hello, just my two cents, since going for the eibach springs which are very stifff, the OEM struts wasnt able to fully compensate or take advantage of the new springs, KYB as far 2nd gen LS is a good suspension upgrade using stock springs, much better with the eibach, thus taking full advantage of the combo, pls correct me if am wrong on this, i do apologize,

jbatast:

What year is your LS?

Also, I would suggest you ask your mechanic to give you a more detailed description of what's going on with your rear struts? This will help narrow down some of the issues.

It is 1997. He is unsure what is going on with the strut assembley...as am I. I have a general understanding but the only think I can come up with is a bad right rear. As for the left rear...I need to fix the right first.

Folks...I have to tell you that once I get this noise issue fixed...this upgrade will make your Lexus handle like a charm...if you like it that way.. It reminds me of my 1997 Honda Accord EX. Just allitle tighter....but imagine a 5000lbs car with a the tight Honda suspension...Can't wait for the NO2 next week.

I still want to cry!

if one of the struts is defective and you knew that b4 install then why did you install?

you should have changed it! as to the noises, me and my friend just dropped his 99 maxima se 2 weeks ago by 2 inches and handliing really improved, but we have some noises as well. i didnt c the car or a guy for a week so i dont know what he did about them. we used tokico or smth like for both springs and struts. if its making really loud noises then you should check if any rubber covers or bushings are missing.

just a thought...

I personally would change all 4 shocks as well if not oem for it being really expensive get the kyb's gr2's they are very smooth compared to the valving in the tokico shocks as i find them very harsh even for a track.

The stock ones should also be ky's but with slightly softer dampening.

The noise you are hearing is more than liekly because the valving inside the shock is worn and damaged ans is binding on the edges of the shock causing the shock to try and squeeze the oil past the dampenr valve. They obviosly need to be replaced as they no longer have the travel they once did and will cause the back of your car to be more floaty and hit the bump stops more.

If you are going to do it try and get the mechanic to reduce the price and replace all 4 not just 2 shocks .As the price of 2 Lexus badge shocks are worth more than 2 kyb badges shocks. Kyb also makes your hood struts as well. They are an excellent brand which is why i also got them.

It is 1997.  He is unsure what is going on with the strut assembley...as am I.  I have a general understanding but the only think I can come up with is a bad right rear.  As for the left rear...I need to fix the right first. 

Folks...I have to tell you that once I get this noise issue fixed...this upgrade will make your Lexus handle like a charm...if you like it that way.. It reminds me of my 1997 Honda Accord EX.  Just allitle tighter....but imagine a 5000lbs car with a the tight Honda suspension...Can't wait for the NO2 next week.

I still want to cry!

Ironically, the 1986-1989 and the 1990-1993 Honda Accords have rather soft, supple suspension. Can actually get quite bouncy at times. Still- they are very comfortable cars. The 1987-1991, 1992-1996, and 1997-2001 Camrys also have a soft, supple suspension- if they have the OEM struts/springs. The 2002-2004 Camrys seem to have a much firmer suspension, as well as the 1998-2002 Honda Accords. Not sure about the dampening of the suspension on the 2003-2004 Accords.

The 86-older Camry and the 85-older Accord have a little tighter suspensions.

my gf has a 2004 accord and my mom has a 2003 camry and i have to say that a camry drives almost like my ls! new accord is also pretty good:) but not as good as camry.

Hi jbatast!! :(

I'm sorry to hear that. I can appreciate how upsetting it would be - especially after going through all of the trouble re-searching and then installing the new springs and shocks.

Just a thought - since the front seems OK - are you sure the BACK springs are the 'rights ones'??! [size wise] I don't think [and believe me - I'm about as far from an 'expert' as one can get] that the springs should 'wiggle'. Did the front springs 'wiggle'??

Perhaps you should double check the springs. Sometimes - the wrong 'thing' comes in the 'right' box!!

Good Luck!!

Craig!! :D

ps I'm very interested in what you're doing. The Eibach Spring 'thing' has been on my mind for a couple of months now.

jbatast,

I recently installed Eibach springs and Tokico shocks on my SC and I'm VERY happy with the ride and performance. Personally, my LS has the worse handling of ANY car I've owned. The steering is vague and the suspension is way too soft. I rented a Lincoln LS V8 for three days last week to drive to the Daytona 500 ... now THAT'S how I want my LS to handle!!! My LS has about 63K miles on the original springs and shocks but IF I keep this car I will certainly install Eibach springs and most likely KYB shocks since Tokico doesn't offer shocks for my year. One possibility for the noises that you're hearing are worn out spring isolators. They sit between the top spring mounting plate and the underside of each shock tower ... they're about $35 at the dealer. Another possibility is that your mechanice didn't torque the sway bar links to the proper spec (assuming that he disconnected the sway bar during the installation). The rear springs may not be seated correctly such that they're moving when the suspension is unloaded. You could try jacking up the rear of the car supporting it with jack stands. Let the suspension hang down at maximum travel and try to discern the cause of the noise ... is the spring able to move on the perch?

Let us know what you find.

:)

WOW -

This is great help. I am still not sure what is going oin but I hope to find out soon. I think that I might have to go with new rear shocks besides the new OEM I just put on.

. Folks...I have to say I love the way this handles. I blast this LS into the corners and it just sticks...no bending no nothing but good handling. I just need to get rid of the noise. I hope to have it apart this weekend to see what wrong with it.

I can still use some more info from those who have used Eibach and OEM struts. Toddls where are you.

Well,

I had my girl on the rack and what to my suprise did we find that caused the noise. Nothing. I ordered a new set of insulator. It seems as though the Eibach spring sis not line up with the "groove" on the insulator/ So, it has walked somewhat off center. Also, ther were no bottom rubber insulator on my old LS so we never but them on. It is my understanding that the new ones I ordered will have the bottom insulator. This should helpd. We will see. NO2 soon to be installed (75 hp). Yeh, I know....I will really cry when I blow my engine...all in the name of sacrifice.

Jon