98Gs300 Suspension Squeak

I own a 1998 GS300 with nearly 100k miles. When I drive over fairly significant bumps, I hear a squeaking sound (not super high pitch, but not a clunk or thud) coming from my front passenger side. Any ideas as to what this might be? I had my oil changed and tires rotated at the dealer about 1,000 miles ago, and they did not mention anything. I have owned this car for a little over a year, and as far as I know, ball joints, shocks, control arms, etc. haven't been changed. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sometimes the rubber of the upper strut mounts or arm-bushings get dry. Lubricate with some Silicone Spray or WD40 to see if this reduces the squeaking noise. I strongly suggest you have the ball-joints checked, never can be too sure about that! My BJ's were replaced around 80-90K miles.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked with Sears, and they will replace both lower control arms for about 70% of what the dealer is quoting. So my question becomes, why go to the dealer if warranties on labor and parts at both places are the same? As you can tell, I don't have enough experience/know how to do this myself.

• 1 month later...

Took the car to my trusted mechanic. Upper ball joints was the diagnosis (by the way, are these integrated with the upper control arms?). The vast majority of the noise is gone, but I still have a slight knock now when I go over bumps. Any advice? By the way, mechanic charged me ~$1,600 to replace upper balljoints/control arms!