Ls400 Does Not Want To Go In Snow!

90LS400Lexus

Luckily we do not get much snow here, but we did today, from that same system that brought 4 inches to Dallas, TX, Shreveport, LA and over 6 inches of snow to Ripley, Mississippi and now a heavy, wet snow here in parts of east Tennessee and western North Carolina and northern Georgia. I would say that we now have 3 inches of snow here. This is the first snow that we have had on the ground here in several weeks. When we do get snow however, it is rarely on the ground for more than a couple of days.

Well, here is my story:

When I left earlier, it was only rain, with temperatures in the upper 40s. Then, about an hour later I had to go back out and it was just changing over with heavy sleet, but shortly thereafter the snow flakes were the size of golfballs. No salt trucks anywhere, as I am guessing that they were not expecting this. Within minutes, the roads were white. Even in the city limits, the roads were snow covered. My Lexus was sliding all over the place when I would accelerate- even lightly, not to mention that I have new tires.

On my way back when I got onto the state highway to my house, I passed salt trucks. By then it was back to slush and luckily I made it back up the hill to my house, without even spinning (suprising) and back up my driveway. Needless to say I was wishing that I had of taken my FWD 92' Buick, which goes well in the snow. As mentioned- luckily we do not get too much snow around here.

I will keep that in mind about the sandbags if I have to drive it in the snow, but hopefully this will be our last snow of the season. After all was said and done, we now have 5.5 inches of snow! The most we have seen at one time in several years! Not to mention it is a heavy, wet snow, as temperatures are in the mid 30s. The best part is that we are supposed to be 55 on Wednesday, 58 on Thursday and 62 degrees on Friday. :D

do you have all seasons or summer tires as i doubt you have winter tires.

A bag of salt is also very use full for added weight and can cmoe in handy if you are stuck in the snow also.

As well as dropping the pressure in the tires for added traction ,but then reinflate them once it gets clear as the car will drive funny

There aren't many cars that go well in wet 32 degree snow. The stuff is just greasy. Dry snow, like around 0 degrees and lower, isn't as slippery. The LS400 is probably made worse by the wider profile tires and how low it rides. I think they have positraction which is nice for digging in by makes the back end slide around more.

I can relate to the weather your describing in the south as I just left Dallas area last Saturday as it was snowing. Being from Minnesota, I didn't consider this to be the event of a lifetime, but when the rain/snow starts freezing in TX, you better get off the road!!! :lol:

I drive in snow most of the winter and don't really have much of a problem in my LS. Traction control definitely helps for take offs; however, not much else.

I do use 2 40 lbs of water softener salt if having a lot of snow for additional weight and have used Blizzak snow tires which are the best!

If you were driving on ice, then not much can help.....NOT even the glamourized AWD vehicles. I do have Bridgestone Turanza LS-H tires on my LS now which I really like!

Good luck and let's hope for warmer weather soon :)

Folks, I have a different experience with my 94 LS400. I live in the backwoods of

NJ and commute about 45 miles to work. My trusty chariot seems to do just fine. It's no 4wd to be sure, but I very rarely hesitate if the snow is under 10".

good snowtires are the only way to go. I have some Michelin Alpin 2's and 90lbs of sand in the trunk. I cover a sales territory of Wisconsin and Minnesota. I prefer the rear wheel drive car to my 4Runner. If you have a rear wheel drive car in the north you just have to spring for real snow tires.

I can relate to the weather your describing in the south as I just left Dallas area last Saturday as it was snowing. Being from Minnesota, I didn't consider this to be the event of a lifetime, but when the rain/snow starts freezing in TX, you better get off the road!!! :lol:

I drive in snow most of the winter and don't really have much of a problem in my LS. Traction control definitely helps for take offs; however, not much else.

I do use 2 40 lbs of water softener salt if having a lot of snow for additional weight and have used Blizzak snow tires which are the best!

If you were driving on ice, then not much can help.....NOT even the glamourized AWD vehicles. I do have Bridgestone Turanza LS-H tires on my LS now which I really like!

Good luck and let's hope for warmer weather soon :)

That was unsusual, as Dallas only averages 2 inches of snow per winter. That is the same system that gave us our unusual "heavy for us - 5.75 inches) of snow. Even parts of northern Mississippi got 7 inches of snow. Now most of our snow is gone, and 62 degrees and thunderstorms are forecasted Friday. Expect anything here in the southeast in February. :D

do you have all seasons or summer tires as i doubt you have winter tires.

A bag of salt is also very use full for added weight and can cmoe in handy if you are stuck in the snow also.

As well as dropping the pressure in the tires for added traction ,but then reinflate them once it gets clear as the car will drive funny

SK- I guess I have all season tires- I will have to check. That is the typical tire here in the south, because as mentioned- we do not get that much snow. About 19 inches of snow per year here in the hills of northeast Tennessee on average. However, over the past few years, we have been lucky to see 10 inches of snow for the entire winter. I remember that last winter, we did not even have 3 inches of snow all winter. It was all rain, which is very common for us more than snow in the winter, but usually more snow in there than we have had- which is fine with me, as I dislike the snow after Christmas has passed, but we usually do not get snow until January.