96 Es300 "what Is It?" Question

trhardy

Have 96 ES300 with only the books that came with it. Several questions if I may:

1. Under the hood, just to each side of the radiator are ~1" diameter plastic cyliders, about 1.5" long. Outside has L on one end and R on the other. Inside the cylinder appears to be a smaller sliding cylinder with red graduations on it; with a 0 in the middle. Driver's side unit is cracked off from the base and I wonder what it is for?

2. In addition to the standard oil dip-stick, there is another dip-stick closer to the radiator. It has a label that says something like "Do not use to check differential; check fluid level at fill port per service manual". A guy at Tires Plus said this was a 2nd oil dip-stick. Nothing in factory books about this. Can anyone explain what it is for?

3. Last, I now have P0 171 error code showing up. Want to clean mass air flow sensor; can I assume this is the round item just downstream of the air filter box? Looks like intake of small jet engine?

Many thanks, Tom

Have 96 ES300 with only the books that came with it. Several questions if I may:

1. Under the hood, just to each side of the radiator are ~1" diameter plastic cyliders, about 1.5" long. Outside has L on one end and R on the other. Inside the cylinder appears to be a smaller sliding cylinder with red graduations on it; with a 0 in the middle. Driver's side unit is cracked off from the base and I wonder what it is for?

I think these are the headlite aiming indicators

2. In addition to the standard oil dip-stick, there is another dip-stick closer to the radiator. It has a label that says something like "Do not use to check differential; check fluid level at fill port per service manual". A guy at Tires Plus said this was a 2nd oil dip-stick. Nothing in factory books about this. Can anyone

explain what it is for?

Transmission fluid distik

3. Last, I now have P0 171 error code showing up. Want to clean mass air flow sensor; can I assume this is the round item just downstream of the air filter box? Looks like intake of small jet engine?

Yep, purchase MAF cleaner at the auto parts store and spray on the fine wires without touching.

Many thanks, Tom