New Tires For Rx350 08 After 29K Miles?

Rocky Top

The dealership told me that the tires on my 08' RX350 (FWD) need to be replaced. It seems like I just bought new tires. :angry: I bought the current tires in Dec. 08' from the Lexus dealership and I've put 29K miles on the tires. Is it unreasonable to expect a longer tire life? The dealership price was $241 per tire. (Michelin 235-55-18 MXV4 99V)

I'm now in the market for replacement tires and the idea of a warranty is very appealing.

Will I need to give up the nice ride of "high performance" tires in return for not having to replace my tires every two years.

Please enlighten me and feel free to suggest new tires (preferrably some with ridiculously high mileage warranties). Am I trying to have my cake and eat it too?

Thanks!!

Putting V speed rated (149 mph) tires on a 112 mph RX seems needless. It's not a sports car. And here is a quote from http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/RX/2008.html about your car:

"18-in performance tires are expected to experience greater tire wear than conventional tires. Tire life may substantially be less than 15,000 miles, depending upon driving conditions."

Lower speed rated tires usually provide a softer ride although handling might not be quite as crisp. I just started using H rated (130 mph) Michelin tires on my LS than came with V-rated tires and don't notice much difference. And I use snow tires in the winter that are only T-rated (118 mph) and the handling is still pretty sharp.

Just having the 18" wheel option is likely going to mean faster tire wear no matter what speed rated tire you use.

• 3 weeks later...

I just went through the whole process of replacing tires on my RX took me 3 weeks to choose and find.

Dealership tires are overly overpriced and do not have warranty. for less then that you can go to discount tire store and put much better Michelin Latitude Tour or even cheaper Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. Both of them have 65K treadwear warranty so your investment is protected. On top of that you have free ballance, rotation and road hazard. Best deal