Driver's Seat Worn And Torn

Hadyourphil

My high-mileage '01 RX-300 has developed a rip in the driver's seat bottom on the left side (tan leather). No surprise there. My questions are... is the bottom cushion of the driver's and passenger's seat interchangeable? Is a repair feasable? What's the mose economical solution to this, and what is a good guesstimate as to cost?

One option is leather slip over seat covers:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Coverking/Seat_Cover/C37CSC1L5LX7022.html?loc=Front&tlc=Interior+Accessories

But have you tried searching for used seats? I did a quick search for a "used seat 2001 RX300". About half the price and trouble of the covers. Check out the following link:

http://www.autopartsfair.com/lexus-usedparts/rx300-2001-front_seat.html

I just took the first link of many. There are many other choices. Four bolts and unplug a couple of wire harnesses and the seat is out. Make sure the replacement has the same options as you current seat. Good luck!

Wow... those seat covers are pricey!

You answered all my questions except about the possibility of a passenger sear bottom working in the driver's seat.

Google/Bing/Yahoo can be your searching friend and sometimes I forget that. Thank you, Joe913!

Drivers side and passengers side bottom cushions are NOT interchangeable unfortunately. You'll notice that the thigh supports are wider on the sides adjacent to a door, and thinner on the sides adjacent to the center console. The brackets are also NOT square, so they can't be switched. :(

The rip can most likely be repaired by a leather person... call your lexus dealer as they have a guy... Won't cost too much. <_<

You are right. One has to look closely at the seat, but they are different.

As much as I hate to, I'll check with the predators at Lexus.

Most likely the dealer will just give you their number and let you pay the leather people directly. When i had the same issue, the dealer let me work directly with the leather guy (he actually came to my HOUSE to do it). B) A small repair like that wont set you more than $50.

• 5 months later...