Rx400H Tires Screech & Squeal Too Much!

Hey guys...

I have two sets of wheels/tires, one for the summer months and one for the winter for my rx400h.

When i purchased my summer set of rims, they came with brand new tires, Dunlop SP SPORT 270's. I couldn't find much information on them (they seem to be popular in the UK) but heck, they were free. The rims are OEM and the tires are the same size as OEM.

Earlier this week there was snow in the forecast, so i opted to switch to my winter set of rims/tires. They are the factory rims with the factory Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 tires.

Well, now i'm noticing a problem. Whenever i'm stopped at an intersection and give it a little too much gas, the tires screech. I notice this even more so when turning. I didn't have this problem AT ALL with my summer set of tires.

Also, for the past month or so there have been some leaves on a few of the back roads. When i had my summer set of tires installed, it never slipped and the traction was excellent. But since i've had the winter tires on, the car isn't handling as well. It's been slipping a little, and the traction light's come on a few times.

So what do you guys think the problem could be? I have NO idea how many miles are on my winter set as they came with the car when we purchased it used last year. I've had them inspected and apparently i have "plenty of tread life left." I bet they're not perfect, but should this really cause so much screeching and squealing? I started "noticing" the squealing last spring before i switched to my summer set, but it might only be because i recently have the summer wheels to compare them to...

It's sort of embarrassing every time i pull out of somewhere... Unless i go EXTREMELY slow, they always make the noise.

Here are some pics of the tires...

Front left:

2ez0fiu.jpg

dwqgea.jpg

5fhn52.jpg

Rear left:

2elcr4k.jpg

15yykuf.jpg

front right:

dm7mmx.jpg

All tires seem to have the same amount of wear. They're all set to 31PSI.

Any insight would be appreciated! :(

cduluk,

A couple comments:

1. Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 are not winter tires. They're an all-season tire that does not grip well in the snow. I think most people would agree this is a very bad tire in any condition.

2. My Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 also squeal when I corner or spin the wheels. The fact is some tires are more prone to squeal than others. The S8's are one tire that doesn't take much to make them squeal. Yes, I know, it's annoying, so I drive with my windows up.

The good thing about the S8's is that tread life is short, so you'll be sporting a new set of rubber in no time.

Now if I heard you pull away from a stop light with tires screeching, I'd probably say to myself, "That kid wants to race!" Of course, if I were in the Corvette, I'd have to accelerate past you, just to teach you a lesson.....

Seriously, though, you should be aware that as tires age they lose plasticizers. Incorporation of oils and plasticizers in tires lowers viscosity, improves processing and extrusion properties, lowers hardness, improves low temperature flexibility, and lowers cost.

However, as time goes by, tire compounds become harder (due to the plasticizer loss)and more slippery. I believe every tire has a date code on it, most often on the inside sidewall. Click here for more info regarding deciphering this code:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

If your tires are more than 6 years old, you should replace them. Even if they are not, they are already a bit dangerous, so I recommend that you replace them, anyway.

dave

Oh trust me, i know these tires aren't meant for the snow... :chairshot: I had them on last winter and traction was TERRIBLE. I'm only using them because they're, well, free (compared to a new set). I was hoping to put off buying new tires until next winter, but it's concerning me a bit.

I checked the dates on the tires, all of which read "3608", so summer of 2008? That's relatively new i guess. Plus, they spend half the year in my garage... I know they're not the ones that came on the car when purchased new, since i got it used at 42k miles, well beyond the lifetime of any tire...

I just wanted to confirm that i'm not the only one with the screeching issue. It seriously doesn't take any effort to make them squeal. I can't even imagine what would happen if i TRIED to make them squeal, especially in terms of safety.

I'll give them a little more time, maybe i just need to "learn" how to quiet them. I'll see how they handle in the first snowstorm (never did end up getting anything this week, damn weathermen!) and if i determine they're just UNSAFE then i'll have to bite the bullet...

Stupid Rhode Island winter! It's bad enough i can't have the chrome rims (because of the salted roads..) but now i've gotta listen to them screech all the time... :wacko:

Anyone else notice this with these tires?

Crazy question, but since you just installed them, did you check the tire pressure. Tires will lose air slowly over time, even if they are just sitting in the garage. That being said, I can make mine squeal with any sort of spirited driving - it's just the nature of that particular tire I guess.

As someone already mentioned, that tire is by no means a winter tire, and it is only a mediocre all season.

From the pics, whatever ones are in the first three have lots of tread, the next two are more worn, and the last pic also shows lots of tread.

Stupid Rhode Island winter! It's bad enough i can't have the chrome rims (because of the salted roads..) but now i've gotta listen to them screech all the time... :wacko:

I know what you mean. I drove through Connecticut winters for 11 years. That's why I "fled" to San Diego. When I did live on the East coast, I always had two cars - one for the salty, slushy days of winter and one for sunny, warmer days. (maybe 2 or 3 times a week in the Spring if you're lucky)

The MXV4's are not good tires. I haven't noticed any squealing problems but their wet traction sucks and they're downright scary in snow. I was starting off on a slight incline on a recent rainy day and the traction control kicked in, I wasn't pushing hard at all. Yokohama Parada Spec-X's are on the way from Tirerack to my mechanic.

If you're in an area that needs winter tires, then get winter tires. At least get "good" all seasons. Bite the bullet, dump the Mich's and get the Paradas.

The MXV4's are not good tires. I haven't noticed any squealing problems but their wet traction sucks and they're downright scary in snow. I was starting off on a slight incline on a recent rainy day and the traction control kicked in, I wasn't pushing hard at all. Yokohama Parada Spec-X's are on the way from Tirerack to my mechanic.

Let me clarify this, the MXV4 S8's are not great tires. The Primacy MXV4 is a completely different tire and is an excellent tire.

I agree that the squealing is just a characteristic of those tires...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Energy+MXV4+S8

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Energy+MXV4+Plus

I do not think either of the MXV4 tires are worth driving in snow/ice conditions. I

have the MXV4 Energy on a 94 Lincoln Mark VIII, and it does not do well in snow/ice.

I do not think it is worth getting into an accident to keep the MXV4 S8 tires.

I would purchase true winter rated tires and sell the S8's for whatever you can get for them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Energy+MXV4+S8

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Energy+MXV4+Plus

I do not think either of the MXV4 tires are worth driving in snow/ice conditions. I

have the MXV4 Energy on a 94 Lincoln Mark VIII, and it does not do well in snow/ice.

I would purchase true winter rated tires and sell the S8's for whatever you can get for them.

For winters I just bought the Blizzak DM-V1's on the tirerack. Seemed to be the best bang for the buck. Hasn't snowed yet, so can't really comment, but others seem to say good things about them. And these do not squeal when i take corners.

The MXV4 Plus is an outdated tire that is no longer manufactured by Michelin. It was replaced with the Primacy MXV4.

I have had both the Plus and the Primacy MXV4, and the Primacy is MUCH better in the snow and ice.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXV4&partnum=155HR7MXV4P&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Lexus&autoYear=2010&autoModel=ES%20350&autoModClar=

As you can see the tire is highly rated for snow and ice.

I've set them to 31PSI, the lowest i can go. I thought any higher and the noise would be worse... :cries:

Just for kicks and giggles, why don't you try 34 or 35 and see if the noise lessens. I run 34, and I don't get squealing on acceleration, only on hard cornering (like taking a highway offramp at a decent clip). Oh, I should mention that I have the same tires on mine (but Blizzak WS60 on 17" Lexus rims for the winter).

I've set them to 31PSI, the lowest i can go. I thought any higher and the noise would be worse... :cries:

Just for kicks and giggles, why don't you try 34 or 35 and see if the noise lessens. I run 34, and I don't get squealing on acceleration, only on hard cornering (like taking a highway offramp at a decent clip). Oh, I should mention that I have the same tires on mine (but Blizzak WS60 on 17" Lexus rims for the winter).

I'm gonna give that a try. I'm desperate!