6Ohm To 2Ohm!

haulin92785

i went from the nakamichi sub to the pioneer sub. My amp seems to be having trouble pushing it and sometimes the music cuts out. As long as i keep the bass down should i be ok? also can i replace the factory sub with an aftermarket one? I tried to look up the answers to my questions and couldnt find anyhthing. any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Well if the nominal impedance of the new speaker is 2 Ohms and the original was 6 Ohms you probably answered your own question. Amplifiers are designed to drive a certain load. If the amp was never designed for 2 Ohm load it will have trouble driving it. It will be most noticable at full levels. You might need to either find another 6HM or change the power amp to one that can drive 2 Ohm loads.

Like curious b said never run the amp lower than its impedance level. Running a lower impedance level is allowing more power to be drawn from the amp which is overloading the amp. The amp is probably on fire and cutting itself off so that it doesn't fry. If you want to stick with the pioneer get a small separate amp to power the sub and wire it. I've wired all the stuff in my car however i have an after market radio. The stock radio isn't going to have a remote wire hook up however you can hook the wire up to something else to tell the amp to cut on. The rca's may be hooked up with an adapter you can purchase from any audio store. Installing an after market radio in my opinion was the best thing i've ever done. I had the stock pioneer system and now have 4 inch alpine sps-400's in each door with power acoustik tweeters. They put out some major sound. My bass doesn't drown out the music at all now. The high pass filter on the avic-u310bt eliminates any bass to the speakers depending on how you adjust it. Just my two cents. I've been into audio since i was 16 and got my car. I've invested a lot in my sound system and being young as i am it's one of my passions. Good luck on the fix!

When my CD changer went down I removed it and fitted an in dash single din JVC unit keeping the stock door speakers.

The original sub was then powered by a separate sub amplifier mounted where the changer was, it did however have adjustable impedance so drives the 2 Ohm sub fine.

subamp002.jpg