Using Mobil 1 5W30 Synthetic Oil And When To Change

baghloli

Hello to All,

I read various opinions about using synthetic oil instead of petroleum based oil. My primary concern is that if I switch to synthetic I will be not be able to use the traditional petroleum based oil anymore (some differs). I need to know if synthetic is really a better choice of the two.

Also how frequently one should change synthetic oil (3000miles) or can be longer. I dont know how long the filter last. Do you recommend changing the filter and gasket every 3000 miles while changing oil every 6000 or more miles.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very hotly debated topic, with very little fact discussed. How long you intend to own the vehicle is a factor--if you are looking for 100,000 miles out of an engine, use a premium 10W 30 synthetic and never change it again, just changing the filter every 10,000 and adding new oil as needed. The engine will probably last 100,000 miles. IF however, you want to never worry about engine failure from lack of lubrication or wear for at least 300,000 miles, change it according the Severe Service recommendations and the engine will most likely still be in near new condition at 300,000 miles.

If your driving patterns are like those of most people (numerous short distance trips around town, suburbia, less than 50 miles), that is SEVERE SERVICE in the language of oil change intervals. Change the oil and filter at least as frequently as the Owners Manual recommends for Severe Service.If there is ever so much crud, dirt etc circulating in the engine as to load up the oil filter between oil changes, it is toast anyway. Use premium quality oil and AIR filters, and 'clean-up your engine' gasoline if you want long life from the engine.

Some brands that are heavily advertised are no better, or even inferior in wear protection. Valvoline premium oils are proven to provide superior wear protection (400% better in extreme test conditions) and longest engine life. That is FACT. 'Synthetic' is not a useful term for the 5W and 10W oils anymore. Almost all the molecules in 5W and premium 10W oils are so close to identical as to be identical twins or closer--whether made from ethylene (like Mobil 1 was) or refined from petroleum (as most 'synthetics' are today.) The ADDITIVE PACKAGE is the key difference between brands and in-the-engine performance. ALL major brands provide excellent wear protection and engine cleanliness if changed often enough and high quality fuels and filters are used.

Auto manufacturers have been crusading for lower levels of key wear protection additives (ZDDPT) to protect emission catalysts from deterioration due to the engine burning more oil than was normal in years past. The new 'low friction' i.e. 'more fuel efficient' new engine designs have less friction from piston rings and valve stem seals and more oil escapes into the combustion chamber. The Owners Manual recommended 5W-20 and 5W-30 oils may lose up to 20% by volume and still meet the oil specifications. That means 'burning' a quart or more of engine oil every 1000 miles is 'Normal'. The metal containing additives (ZDDPT is the main one) tend to decrease the performance of emissions control catalysts (which laws require warranted for 100,000 miles.) Some engine designs are very dependent on the ZDDPT wear protection, and have demonstrated camshaft failures in less than 30,000 miles with one of the most heavily advertised 'synthetic' engine oil. The Lexus LX engine is not one of these 'needs lots of ZDDPT' designs-but---?

In summary, the LX-470 engine is long lived and not 'sensitive' to ZDDPT wear protection levels. It does however require excellent deposit and wear control if it is to last past 100,000 miles. Use of premium quality fuel, air, and oil filters is highly recommended. Use of premium quality 'clean-up your engine' advertised fuels is required. Changing engine oil at least as often as Severe Service recommendations is also highly recommended. Replacing coolant every two years or less is also required (forget the 5 year, or 'lifetime malarkey). Brand of oil? Almost all the 'premium quality' engine oils will help ensure very long engine life.

I personally do not use Mobil-1 because the engines in my automobile engines need a higher level of extreme pressure wear protection than it provides.

You can mix synthetic and non synthetic oil - note the blends that are marketed. The additives are very important for longevity. I have used Mobil 1 Extended Performance, which is heavy on the additive side. It is rated for up to 15K miles, I will go up to 10K with a Toyota or Mobil 1 filter. Most of the quality synthetics have good additive packages. My favorite is Amzoil Signature - I will go over 10K with it.

You can adjust according to the condition of the oil at your next change. I have used dino oil with my own synthetic to create a quality blend. I rarely go past the recommended mileage using a blend.

If you want to get a huge amount of info, check out Bob Is The Oil Guy, where they get real technical. As Texasoil indicated, the 4.7L LX470 engine is "easy" on oil.

• 3 months later...