K40 Vs Valentine One

landar

My '02 LS430 came with dealer installed K40 radar detector, front and rear. I figured it was an outdated "toy" and would never hold a candle to my V1.

What a lesson I had coming. To my surprise, the K40 has gone off many more times to alert me of an oncoming patrol car whereas the V1 has been (at times) completely silent.

The V1 seems to give me more warning distance when it does decide to go off but now has me wondering about it's capabilities. I suppose I could send it in to be checked out as it could be malfunctioning... but I doubt it.

Anyone else had such an experience?

where do you have to logic settings on yur V-1? I have 2 of them and both work great. I use the large "L" setting as I found the small "L" tends to cut down on false alarms and possible effectiveness.

where do you have to logic settings on yur V-1? I have 2 of them and both work great. I use the large "L" setting as I found the small "L" tends to cut down on false alarms and possible effectiveness.

yeah, I need to play with the settings. I did switch to "A" I believe, but no difference. I have seen it happen in Ohio especially. I am driving down the interstate and see a state trooper parked in the median strip. I am thinking he/she is checking speed but maybe they are just eating donuts. Anyway, the K40 goes off while the V1 is completely silent. Got me spooked with the V1 for sure. I thought maybe the K40 local oscillator was interfering with the V1, so I reached down and turned off the K40. No difference. I have seen the V1 be unresponsive even in our van with only the V1 on-board. I will have to do more testing. I am becoming more impressed with the K40.

Just got back from a 1100 mile road trip yesterday night, and the V1 saved me 3 times. I use the large "L", though at this point, I don't recall what the different settings mean. Just for reference, the V1 chirped once on Ka band, and that was about a mile before I got to a speed trap in IL. I was running with a Mercedes, and once I got the chirp, I stabbed the brake. The Mercedes went on, and got nabbed. Illinois troopers didn't have much tolerance for speeding. We weren't going that much over.

I've been interested in the K40 radar detectors, but I've never spoken to anyone that had one. I find your experiences very interesting!

Micah

The "A" setting is all bogeys which picks up all bands. The logic modes do something that filters signals but to know for sure you can check Valentine's website. You might also enter your unit's SN to see if an upgrade of software is available. I have head good things about the K40 but I'd miss my arrows.

• 2 months later...

I agree with Landar K40 definately has reign over the V1 check out these videos the V1 on gave 21 second warning on a police Ka Band alert from the time it detected to whe they passed and the K40 RL100 gave 67 seconds on it's Ka Band encounter from the time it detected to when they passed the police.

V1 video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFplRlMX0EM

K40 RL100 Video: