Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Recommended Posts

An independent Lexus shop advised me that they wait until 120K to replace the timing belt on a '98-'05 GS300, say they've never had a problem in 10 years doing it at the later interval.

Any opinions / experience re: doing this?

It would be great to get a little extra mileage before having to change it.. but not if there's a risk of losing the belt!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended interval is around 90-100K miles, or 10 years. I've seen some GS's with +160 miles, original belts and no visual sign of wear and tear. This also depends on drivestyle and climate (hot, cold, etc). Fact is, belts do get older and brittle in time. Even when the belt looks OK at inspection, it can be decieving.

Although I believe it would be 'safe' to wait for the 120K, I wouldn't risk it myself, mainly because of the age of the belt.

I wouldn't rely too much on the experience of the shop. Even when 95% of the cars experience no belt-problems @ 120K or more, you don't want to belong to the other 5%.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you follow the maintenance schedule, the timing belt is to be replaced every 90,000 miles or 72 months (6 years) - whichever comes first.

I wouldn't worry about the aging of the belt as much as failure of the other components in the timing belt system - idlers, tensioner, water pump. Having had a timing belt trashed on a 1990 LS400 at about 75,000 miles when the water pump seized, I'm not one to stretch belt replacement much. I did wait an extra year on my current 2000 LS400 and had the timing belt (and idlers, tensioner, water pump, etc.) replaced at 90,000 miles which was within a couple of days of being 7 years from the car's in-service date.

If your GS300 is a 99 as indicated by one of your past posts, you are at about double the recommended 6 year replacement interval.

Link to post
Share on other sites

An independent Lexus shop advised me that they wait until 120K to replace the timing belt on a '98-'05 GS300, say they've never had a problem in 10 years doing it at the later interval.

Any opinions / experience re: doing this?

It would be great to get a little extra mileage before having to change it.. but not if there's a risk of losing the belt!

I just had mine changed on my 2001 GS300 at 190K Kms which is about 120K miles and the belt looked fine. I wouldn't worry too much about a few thousand extra miles but as others have said there are no guarantees and the cosequences are HUGE.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...