Stp Or Lucus

PNUT27

What fuel cleaner work best STP or Lucas? My 02 LS 430 is riding a little bit sluggish.Or if anyone know anything that work better let me know please . A worker at my local auto store tells me that Lucas work better . I know i need to change the air filter i just got a oil change. IM looking into getting a tune up my local Lexus dealer want 1500 Toyota want 1000 . The Lucas company say its tune up in a bottle . Or should i use this stuff in my car period ?

Most of that stuff is simply snake oil. The cleaner won't really hurt anything other than your wallet. Might make you feel better but wont do a thing to help the engine. You really can't do better than just using premium fuel at each fillup.

Not sure what is included in a 'tune-up' for $1500 at the dealer.

How many miles on your '02?

Most of that stuff is simply snake oil. The cleaner won't really hurt anything other than your wallet. Might make you feel better but wont do a thing to help the engine. You really can't do better than just using premium fuel at each fillup.

Not sure what is included in a 'tune-up' for $1500 at the dealer.

How many miles on your '02?

125k miles

At 125k, your car *SHOULD* have (or had) the following done:

• Fluids changed multiple times...depending upon type/schedule (ie:oil, transmission, coolant, brake, diff, power steering)
  • Timing belt replaced (possibly water pump but not factory scheduled)
  • Throttle body cleaned
  • Spark plugs
  • Engine air (and cabin) filters

How many of those items have been done?

Other than the air filter, the only parts normally replaced during any procedure I would call an "engine tune up" on a V8 Lexus are the spark plugs. I'm pretty sure that the normal spark plug replacement interval for the LS430 is 120,000 miles since that is what it is for my 00 LS400. By the way, the factory installed spark plugs on my 00 LS looked like new when they were replaced recently and the engine does not run any better with the new plugs. The total cost of new OEM spark plugs for my LS, not including installation, was about $125.

I've had two Lexus V8 cars serviced "by the book" only by Lexus dealer or former Lexus dealer employees during the over 275,000 miles I've driven them and I've never had a mechanic or service writer suggest throttle body cleaning. Not that it would hurt - maybe it could if improperly done - but I have to wonder if it is necessary unless the car has substantially higher mileage than yours.

A variety of components can make the throttle less responsive. For example, when the "TPS" (thottle position sensor) on my car failed last year, throttle response varied from normal to poor to non-existent. You might have a mechanic check for stored error codes.

• Fluids changed multiple times...depending upon type/schedule (ie:oil, transmission, coolant, brake, diff, power steering)
  • Throttle body cleaned
  • Spark plugs

How many of those items have been done? Thanks i done almost all except the transmission , throttle body cleaned , and spark plugs

• Throttle body cleaned
  • Spark plugs

How many of those items have been done? Thanks i done almost all except the transmission , throttle body cleaned , and spark plugs

I have used Valvoline Complete Fuel System Cleaner in the past with outstanding results. Pay $10 for the stuff or it is junk. While you are at it, get a K&N air filter. Works wonders to cure sluggishness.

I have used Valvoline Complete Fuel System Cleaner in the past with outstanding results. Pay $10 for the stuff or it is junk. While you are at it, get a K&N air filter. Works wonders to cure sluggishness.

Thanks i finally got the K&N air filter today put it in took the car for a ride sluggishness is gone oh and i used the lucas fuel cleaner too :cheers:

• 7 months later...

The best fuel injector cleaner I've found is Amsoil PI (around $10 and use it every 4,000 miles). When I got my 96 LS400 (103,000 miles) I was getting 18 to 19 mpg mostly on the highway--and yes, I'm a leadfoot. I changed oil to Amsoil 0-30w (which a petroleum engineer friend of mine told me was the best synthetic oil available) and then ran the PI treatment though it. My mileage increased to 24.5 mpg. I've since changed over to Amsoil Oil and Air filters and tranny fluid. I am NOT a distributor of Amsoil products, nor am I related to one. I'm just a very satisfied customer.

The oil is up-front expensive, now about $11/qt, but you only have to change it every 36,000 miles or two years, so it ends up being cheaper than other synthetics. Just change the oil filter every year if you don't put that much mileage on your car.

I couldn't disagree more. I'd much rather use conventional oil and change frequently than use expensive oil and run longer. As the car ages more exhaust blow-by will enter the crankcase and pollute the oil. With an older car it becomes more important to stick with the schedule. Now if you want to use expensive oil and stick with Lexus change interval go ahead but that seems expensive and unwarranted.

Too much voodoo science and urban myths associated with these exotic fluids and additives. My vote is to stay away from all of them.

STP or Lucas will probably end up doing the same thing and might allow someone to pass the failed emissions test. I have used STP, Chevron and another one I forgot the name and they all contributed to removing deposits and eventually allowing me to pass emissions tests that I had failed. I went with STP because it was the cheapest, $5 at walmart and it works.

The best fuel injector cleaner I've found is Amsoil PI (around $10 and use it every 4,000 miles). When I got my 96 LS400 (103,000 miles) I was getting 18 to 19 mpg mostly on the highway--and yes, I'm a leadfoot. I changed oil to Amsoil 0-30w (which a petroleum engineer friend of mine told me was the best synthetic oil available) and then ran the PI treatment though it. My mileage increased to 24.5 mpg. I've since changed over to Amsoil Oil and Air filters and tranny fluid. I am NOT a distributor of Amsoil products, nor am I related to one. I'm just a very satisfied customer.

The oil is up-front expensive, now about $11/qt, but you only have to change it every 36,000 miles or two years, so it ends up being cheaper than other synthetics. Just change the oil filter every year if you don't put that much mileage on your car.

Fuel injector cleaner are not necessary in most cases. Unless the car sits with the same gas tanks for months and months, like in my case, it is hardly needed. I prefer the one rated as complete fuel system cleaner versus the fuel injector cleaner. And remember to do an oil change after using such product, otherwise all the crap that was removed is now floating in your oil. And about oil change, I use Mobil 1 (synthetic) and given the cost, I can afford to do it twice a year. Much cheaper than having problems with your engine. Just my 2 cents.